Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Help!! (Bedtime issues)

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok, so here's my current issue: My son, who is a month away from turning 2, has learned how to climb out of his crib. We have a baby gate that we can put in front of his door, but he can kick it down. We also have stairs in our apartment and he can open the gate that is front of them too. So my question is, would it be ok to lock him in his room at night? I have a baby monitor, so I'd be able to hear him. But I just feel worried about him wandering around his room by himself while I'm asleep. I'm not really sure what other option there is though, because if I don't lock him in he's gonna end up getting to the stairs and most likely falling down them. I mean, it's not like he's old enough to know better yet. His room is mostly baby-proofed, but I still have a few more things to do to it. This is just one of those moments where I'm just so conflicted about what to do. On one hand I don't want him in his room by himself, but then again, I don't want him wandering the house by himself either lol. We also are planning on turning his crib into a toddler bed tomorrow, so that he can just crawl out instead of having to climb over and possibly get hurt. I just need advice! lol So, do any of you have experience with this? Have any of you locked your kids in their room, and if so, did they do ok? Were you able to hear them when they woke up and started moving around their rooms? Somebody told me to sleep on his floor, which is fine for a while. But I can't do that forever, and plus I like sleeping with my fiance too. ;) But for tonight, the little one is sleeping in our bed, until we can get his crib turned into a toddler bed.
(By the way, sorry if I'm rambling. It's past my bedtime lol)

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Replies (11-12):
rodgersv11
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Just to clarify a couple things: First of all, when I say I'm going to lock my son in his room, I ONLY mean while he's sleeping. I'm not gonna throw him in his room and make him cry until he goes to sleep. Also, the second I hear him moving around his room I'll be going in there to get him. I just see locking his door as safer than letting him run around the house and potentially fall down the stairs or get hurt on something else.

Just wanted to clear those things up in case there was any confusion lol. I feel like when someone says they're going to "lock the door to their kid's room", a lot of people assume that it means when they're awake.

MommyPhoenix11
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:02 AM
Can he open a doorknob? My DD(16mos) was in a toddler bed until it started interrupting her naps (she would get out of bed and play then not nap) but we keep her door closed at anytime she is sleeping. Our doors are side by side and she would wake up as soon as we went to bed or went to our room to get something. Can you just put a door cover on the side of the knob that would be closed in his room? So he can't open it but you can get in quickly when you need to? As far as the gate situation, we have a gate upstairs that has rubber to help it stay against the wall but the bottom of it has two little pieces that can be pushed down so that the gate cannot be opened, even when you open the gate with the handle those keep it in place. It was like $50 at target. My daughter shakes and hangs on it and it won't open period, the only issue is it slips sometimes but our walls are also uneven lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)