Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Would love some opinions on giving birth.

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm 34 weeks now with my first and I haven't really put much thought into how birthing and labor may be. Well I'm doing birthing classes online and have been watching a lot of videos and what not and they seem to make labor a lot more intense and painful then it's really put out to be. O_O Can I get some opinions on how you ladies went through it all? What all did you do before actually having the baby? Cuz, now, I'm starting to kinda freak myself out. lol My mom told me that it really wasn't that bad at all and that she didn't even know she was at 10 cm, and with the help of pain killers, it wasn't all that bad.

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Replies (11-20):
AubreeGrace17
by Aubree on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Labor isn't as bad as some women make it out to be. If you get an epidural you will not feel very much pain. In fact, I didn't feel anything. Your legs get a little tingly and you can't move around as much, but I was okay just laying in bed. I wanted to sleep most of the time anyways. From the start of my first contraction to the labor itself lasted 26 hours. That sounds like a long time, but it wasn't so bad. I was already in labor when they broke my water and was 3.5 cm. That is also when they gave me my epidural. At that point the contractions hurt pretty bad. They felt a lot like bad period cramps. Before I had the baby I did research into different types of pain medicine and different ways to give birth. I also toured the birthing center. I highly reccommend the epidural, but there is nothing wrong with having a natural labor. 

aniters
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 6:13 PM
it hurts so bad. nothing you do can prepare you for the pain. not trying to scare you lol just telling the truth.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
juniebug11
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Well after I got my second epidural, I didn't feel a thing. I slept. Then it felt like I had to poop, like really bad. I pushed like 3 times and the baby was out before the doctor was in the door. Before the epidural it was pretty bad, the first one I got didn't work. It took like 7 hours they had to take it out & found out it was in the wrong place. 

The pain meds help a lot. Good luck! 

katilyn544
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM
If you are not sure you want a epidural research. I decided that I didnt want o.e because i have back pain anyways. so i didnt have one was put on pitocin yes there was pain. and im sorry if a woman is having a baby unmedicated there will be pain. but seeing my little boy made the twelve hours SOOOO worth it and i forgot about it all. good luck mama

Quoting Kazmira222:

I'm jjust hesitant about the epidural. My mom didn't use it, but all my friends have! :s Just don't know if I should or not. Being unable to feel or use the lower half of my body kind freaks me out a lil. lol

Quoting DollFace-23:

EPIDURAL! that is the key to comfortable labor, because of my epidural, giving birth is the easieSt thing I've ever done!

katilyn544
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:19 PM
Oh also recovery time is better without an epi. as soon as i got settled in my room i was able to shower by myself.

Quoting katilyn544:

If you are not sure you want a epidural research. I decided that I didnt want o.e because i have back pain anyways. so i didnt have one was put on pitocin yes there was pain. and im sorry if a woman is having a baby unmedicated there will be pain. but seeing my little boy made the twelve hours SOOOO worth it and i forgot about it all. good luck mama

Quoting Kazmira222:

I'm jjust hesitant about the epidural. My mom didn't use it, but all my friends have! :s Just don't know if I should or not. Being unable to feel or use the lower half of my body kind freaks me out a lil. lol

Quoting DollFace-23:

EPIDURAL! that is the key to comfortable labor, because of my epidural, giving birth is the easieSt thing I've ever done!

astrong5
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:06 PM

It is better not to get an epidural because your body can't do the natural things it was meant to do during labor (like walk around and get into different positons for the baby to come out easer). You can easily get through pain by expressing it in low calming humming. But if you want to have it, its better than using pain killers because the epidural doesnt affect the baby but the pills will.

astrong5
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Also I forgot to mention not getting an epidural releases a big rush of endorphins once you have your baby and that is AMAZING!!

3lilladies81
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:16 PM
It is different for everyone my friend was kinda in pain got her epidural and breezed right through it. I on the other hand am not as lucky it's like the epidural only sort of works and I feel EVERYTHING in the vag area like the episiotomy and the stitches yikes! With my third she came down faster and that was a pain like no other after 4 epidurals it still didn't take and I almost ripped the bedrails clean off!! Well I suppose I have scared you now well dont worry most people take the epidural just fine and it doesnt hurt like they portray it to. It's all worth it in the end :)
Kazmira222
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:35 PM
True, but I wouldn't wanna deliver the baby any other way than laying down O_o that stuff gets weird. Lol and in all reality, I don't wanna feel a thing now that I've thought about it.

Quoting astrong5:

It is better not to get an epidural because your body can't do the natural things it was meant to do during labor (like walk around and get into different positons for the baby to come out easer). You can easily get through pain by expressing it in low calming humming. But if you want to have it, its better than using pain killers because the epidural doesnt affect the baby but the pills will.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
astrong5
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Thats an ok thing to do, just make sure the person who gives you the epidural doesnt screw up lol but don't worry very very low chance of that happening.

Quoting Kazmira222:

True, but I wouldn't wanna deliver the baby any other way than laying down O_o that stuff gets weird. Lol and in all reality, I don't wanna feel a thing now that I've thought about it.

Quoting astrong5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)