Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnant in the Military: Is it a good idea?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:17 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hello everyone. I've got a situation and I really need honest advise. I'm 20 years old and have been serving in the Navy for almost 2 years. I am currently married and have no children but I am trying to conceive. I've been on birth control for the past 5 months, and I just recently took my patch off in hopes to become pregnant soon. I work  in a combat unit  and my job produces a lot of mental and physical challenges. I am concidered by most around me to be one of the luckiest junior sailors in the navy. I am apart of a new ship that is setting the standards for the future Navy. Not only that, but I am one of the first Junior sailors to arrive to this type of command; making me stand out among the rest. ONLY ONE PROBLEM: I don't want any of it. Not the training, not the attention, not the opportunities nor the glory of it all. It's sucks that I got put into this type of job, but I didn't neccessarily choose it. It was kinda just put on me. I came into the Navy to get money for school and provide a better life for me and my husband. THAT'S ALL. 

Me wanting to have a baby is where the main issue comes in. It's already hard on women having children in the military ( If you didn't already know). People look down upon it and make you feel crappy about it. I think this is mostly because the military can no longer use you; at least while you're pregnant. Then, they have to give you a mandatory 3 month recovery period. Being that I am apart of a combat unit, every person counts. Every one plays a essential role in ensuring the success of the missions. If I get pregnat, I get de-screened from the program (which I won't be sad about) but what will people say? What will they think? How will the rest of my time in the Navy be not being apart of something so bad ass? Because quite frankly, this IS an oppourtunity that will never come again. But at the same time, I really want to have a baby now. I am totally TORN

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
te711
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this
You've got the itchhh!!! Lol (I'm guilty at times too) You have soooo much time in your life to have children! Your so young! Im 22 and a mom to a four year old, I'm sure u hear that a lot but its true..without my son I wouldn't be the person I am today, but those were the cards I was dealt, I've had to give up great opportunities because I do have a child who needs me. You said the opportunity that you have is one in life time! Those are your cards!! And it sounds like you want to be involved ! You don't want to.look back years from now and regret that you didn't take advantage of such an amazing opportunity. Take this time to.enjoy being young, and in love, to grow and spend time with your husband && to be part of something great!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrs.t2012
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I was hoping I wouldn't get that, but I knew I would! lol Thanks for the advice. I appricaite it a lot. You're right, I do get that A LOT. I just wanna be a normal girl. Be a wife, have a family. Go to college, work a decent job. I just feel like what I'm doing is extra and won't be beneficial in the long term. Especailly concidering the fact that I don't really want the Navy as a carrer. Idk. I should wait though. I just don't want to. lol

MunchiesMom324
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this

My SIL is Navy (just finished nuclear power school) and is due in June with her first child.  Thank you for what you do, and best of luck!!

te711
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I hear you. But hey if the navy isn't what your trying to do, let me take back what I said about that BUT everything else still applies lol. It's hard being a fulltime mom, while trying to get an education and work to provide as well. My advice is to.wait till your established! Or at least closer to being established than you are now. Concentrate on school so that one day you can have a career you enjoy that will support you and your family. Being on the outside looking in, gives you a whole nother perspective. Like I said I am who.I.am today because of.my.son but I wish I had those years after highschool to go to college, figure out my life and to find myself.. (Im.doing all those things now, its just a slower more.difficult process ya know) I'm done rambling I swear! -____- lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KAP4198
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I would say do what makes YOU happy!! Don't worry what others will think, you live your life for you and your family, not everyone around that's judging! :) however, in thus situation I'd make sure I thought things thru 100% and had not 1 doubt that a baby is what I wanted now. I'm 20 and have 2 kids and I miss my freedom(don't get me wrong I love my kids!!!!!) and feel like I grew up too fast! Give it some thought!! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)