Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Schooling.

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son is 2 right now but will be 3 in a month. He has a speech problem and he is in speech therapy. In Janurary they are wanting him to start speech therapy out at the grade school and they keep asking if I would like to enroll him in pre-schoo. I think it would be good for him to start in pre-school but I don't know if he is ready to be away from home yet. He has never been away from home because the grandparents live so far away. Any suggestion to get him to be okay with going to school...

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
2under5.mom
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I was nervous sending my DS to pre-k as well. i wasnt ready for him to go to school but i knew he had to start somehwere! My son doesnt have any special classes to take or anything but he struggles severely with seperation anxiety. And i figured to put him in a half day pre-k would be a good start to get him ready for Kindergarten and having to be gone a full day. Hes actually doing great with it. The first few days were rough because of course he cried for me as the bus pulled up and he even ran away from the bus! He still struggles with leaving me but he knows i will always be waiting for him!

does your DS enjoy being with other kids? he might be ready to go you just may not be ready to let him go! :)

landen1229
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Well the problem I am running into is that because I live in town they don't use the bueses so that means I will have to take him. He really hasn't been around kids all that much. I babysit but the child I babysit don't like him so he doesn't play with him.

He will only be going half a day but he also has a lazy eye and I am also worried about the other kids laughing at him about it. I know they won't be doing it on purpose but  but with all the bullying that is going on in schools today I am afarid they will make fun of him and with him not being able to talk to me he won't be able to tell me.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Welcome to the group!  I'd probably give it a try, he might really enjoy preschool.  :)

Quoting landen1229:

My son is 2 right now but will be 3 in a month. He has a speech problem and he is in speech therapy. In Janurary they are wanting him to start speech therapy out at the grade school and they keep asking if I would like to enroll him in pre-schoo. I think it would be good for him to start in pre-school but I don't know if he is ready to be away from home yet. He has never been away from home because the grandparents live so far away. Any suggestion to get him to be okay with going to school...

Firenygirl180
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM
You can always try it out and see how it goes. Maybe just send him a couple daysa week at first and then go to everyday if there aren't any issues. I am not looking forward to ds starting preschool but I have at least another 1.5 years before I have to think about it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
landen1229
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Yea we are going to give it a shot. Don't know how it will go. I just don't think I am ready for my baby to start school..

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM
He won't get used to it unless he goes:-) It may be hard at first but kids adjust quickly. Start talking about it now, make it really exciting, and let him know you'll come back to get him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
landen1229
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Well with the speech problem he has he don't understand what I am saying. We have been telling him that he is going to school and that he will get to play with kids his own age and he just don't care... Anything I can do about getting him excited?!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)