Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

fingers and thumb sucking.

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:41 PM
  • 17 Replies

My daughter is about to turn 4 months old and for the first 3 months she would take a paci and now since shes able to pull it our and push it about she sucks her hands fingers and thumbs. I dont want this to become a normal habit. Is there anyone else who is going through this or has gone through this and how did you stop it?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommeeTo4
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:42 PM
I'm no help, I allow it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
athomp46
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:56 PM

im starting to too! I cant say no to such and adorable face like hers.

HotStuff1300
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I didnt have that problem, but a lot of moms i know put something with a bitter taste on their finger so that they wont like it and will stop.

athomp46
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:24 PM

with her only being 4 months i dont think theres anything i can put on her hands that wont mess with her skin. she has very sensitive skin just like me. :/

erinmomofone
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Well I am no help, I sucked my thumb and fingers till I was in 6th grade (it kept me calm) and I did it in school and my daughter never did it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM
My son started refusing any artificial nipple at 4 months. He sucks on his fingers or nurses for comfort, he's 14.5 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AubreeGrace17
by Aubree on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

She's just using it as a soothing mechanism. It's harmless. My son who just turned 9 months just stopped. They quit on their own, and its nothing to worry about.

athomp46
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

My son started refusing any artificial nipple at 4 months. He sucks on his fingers or nurses for comfort, he's 14.5 months.

shes formula fed so she doesnt refuse artificial nipples its just her paci. i sucked my index finger till i was about 6 or 7 and it really doesnt bother me that shes starting to.

But thank ya'll so much for helping me!

GaGirl09
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:24 AM
I know it's hard to make them stop at that age but it's a must! My dd did the same thing, she is two and a half and i swear is nearly impossible to get her to stop. Any time she sucks hands or fingers replace with paci.

Quoting athomp46:

My daughter is about to turn 4 months old and for the first 3 months she would take a paci and now since shes able to pull it our and push it about she sucks her hands fingers and thumbs. I dont want this to become a normal habit. Is there anyone else who is going through this or has gone through this and how did you stop it?

Firenygirl180
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:26 AM
My son sucked his fingers from birth and gave it up around 3 months. Never had a pacifier and I never encouraged or discouraged the hand sucking. From my research kids outgrow it if it us left alone.
Just make sure she isn't hungry when she's doing it. That's pretty much the only time ds did it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)