Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Baby's Last Name Conflict

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM
  • 73 Replies
So basically my boyfriend and I have been constantly having this argument about the baby's last name. My own mother said it would be smarter to just give him my last name (due to tax reason or something, she didn't really explain in detail) but I want to hear some advice from some mommys. Give my son my last name or my boyfriends? Why or why not?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DolphinFan85
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

baby should always recieve the fathers last name!

Nat_Th3_Cat
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:02 PM
You know I told my mom the same thing but do you have any idea what she could of meant by tax reasons? I was so confused

Quoting DolphinFan85:

rvb146
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM
2 moms liked this
I gave my son my last name. Because he would be living with me, I would take care of his day to day needs, I take him to doctor's appointments and he's on my insurance.
If I gave him his dad's last name and we were to get into an argument or he stopped caring for our son, I'd rather not have that last name with him and have that reminder. My son has his father's middle name.
You can also hyphenate the last names together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nat_Th3_Cat
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM
I thought about that too, the hyphenating

Quoting rvb146:

I gave my son my last name. Because he would be living with me, I would take care of his day to day needs, I take him to doctor's appointments and he's on my insurance.

If I gave him his dad's last name and we were to get into an argument or he stopped caring for our son, I'd rather not have that last name with him and have that reminder. My son has his father's middle name.

You can also hyphenate the last names together.
Marissak14
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Personally, my daughter has my last name but her father is not in the picture. It really just depends on what you want, if you feel like the baby should take the fathers last name then do it.(:
And on the tax thing, I don't think over ever heard of that.
Angelanscalf89
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Not always true. My daughter is MY daughter. I knew her "father" would never be around she has my last names shes 5 and shes never met her bio dad. On the other hand my son has a dad (my df) who will ALWAYS be around even if we somehow dont stay together forever. He has his last name.

Quoting DolphinFan85:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ncohetero
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I think kids should have their dad's last name. My cousin was given his mother's last name and when we were younger a lot of kids teased him about being a bastard. Not cool. Kids can be mean. Plus some kids feel awkward when they get to an age where they realize they r different than others by having mommys last name
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whitneymf
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:08 PM
I am giving my son my last name because I am not with his father and his father went be the one taking care of him or taking him to any appointments or anything also I am giving my son my last name because I don't want him having a different last name as me. If I get married my son will change his last name with me.
deviljrswifey
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:56 PM
My daughter has her fathers last name.
Mel0dy
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:57 PM

baby should always have the fathers last name 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)