Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Baby's Last Name Conflict

Posted by   + Show Post
So basically my boyfriend and I have been constantly having this argument about the baby's last name. My own mother said it would be smarter to just give him my last name (due to tax reason or something, she didn't really explain in detail) but I want to hear some advice from some mommys. Give my son my last name or my boyfriends? Why or why not?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
EmilyWilsonn
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I gave my daughter my last name since her father isn't in the picture. However we will be changing it in about a year or so because my SO is going to adopt her. Funny thing is that SO and her father have the same last name so hopefully that doesn't cause problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

It is entirely up to you if you want to give baby your last name or his.  It is also up to you if you want his name on the birth certificate.  

As far as taxes go, you would claim the baby if the baby lives with you, last name won't matter.  He can try to claim the baby if his name is on the birth certificate.

If you think that he will be in the picture and will be there to help you and help take care of the baby then you can give the baby his last name.  If you think he will just "forget" about his responsibility then give baby your last name.  

Zoeysmommy9111
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter has her fathers last name. I'm eventually going to marry him and I don't want to have to change her last name.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KayelynnsMama
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

IMO, baby should get the dad's last name if the dad is in it's life. The babies last name has nothing to do with taxes...

teenmom1130
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly it would totally be up to you. My baby has my last name but there is a whole situation behind that, you have to ask yourself what is your heart telling you? It's your choice so make the smart one you don't want to look back a regret the decision.

vrbtnseele
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

my daughter has my last name because her father didnt seem to care about my pregnancy, never helped out, and now hes a dead beat. id give baby yours and if you marry your SO one day change it to his. or hyphenate.

nerdymom28
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I gave both of my daughters my last name. It eliminates confusion for them, as well as school/daycare/whatever else I have them signed up for. I am the only parent for my oldest, her father has never met her, so it makes more sense that she have my last name. And I didn't want my kids to have different last names, so I followed suit with my youngest. My SO was fine with that; it makes more sense for our situation, anyway. If we ever get married though, it'll be a different story.

DueAug2013
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Im going to tell you from experience...my daughters father and I were not in a good relationship the closer it came to her coming...... I decided to let her have his last night and him be on the birth certificate..... huge mistake on my part....really consider it. Because with him being on the birth certificate if something happens with ya'll he can up and leave with the baby just as much as you can( until u goto court). Not giving the baby his last name or even putting him on the birth certificate doesnt mean that you dont believe that he is the father... but you are protecting your child. I know many people will disagree with me, but for the moms that have also been in my shoes, done custody, done the courts ..... its a long battle.

Nat_Th3_Cat
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM

So say he was to up and leave me after the baby was here and the baby had his last name, is it possible he could get full custody of my baby or have me completely cut out of the picture?

Quoting DueAug2013:

Im going to tell you from experience...my daughters father and I were not in a good relationship the closer it came to her coming...... I decided to let her have his last night and him be on the birth certificate..... huge mistake on my part....really consider it. Because with him being on the birth certificate if something happens with ya'll he can up and leave with the baby just as much as you can( until u goto court). Not giving the baby his last name or even putting him on the birth certificate doesnt mean that you dont believe that he is the father... but you are protecting your child. I know many people will disagree with me, but for the moms that have also been in my shoes, done custody, done the courts ..... its a long battle.

Ashleeduhh
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Her father is in the picture so she has her name. Even though we aren't together, I feel he's a good father and loves her so he deserves her to have his name.

I had my fathers name who wasn't even in my life and it never caused us any issues other than sometimes people would call my mom by my last name. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)