Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Baby's Last Name Conflict

Posted by   + Show Post
So basically my boyfriend and I have been constantly having this argument about the baby's last name. My own mother said it would be smarter to just give him my last name (due to tax reason or something, she didn't really explain in detail) but I want to hear some advice from some mommys. Give my son my last name or my boyfriends? Why or why not?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Replies (31-40):
cemcnair
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:23 PM
My husband has his mother's maiden name because she was not married when he was born. It has not ever caused him issues. He prefers to have it instead of his absent father's.
cemcnair
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Are you and your bf in this for the long run or do you see it ending?
C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:33 PM

It depends on your relationship with your boyfriend. I personally gave my son my boyfriend's last name because we knew we were going to get married and we did when my son was 15 months old. I didn't want to go through the trouble of changing his last name later

bear.katten
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:40 PM
My son has my last name. I like it because then there are no questions about if he's mine or not and bio dad didnt stick around and I figured he wouldnt.
LucyHarper
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Traditionally, kids have their fathers last names. I was married before we had kids, but if we weren't, they would have their dads last name, just makes things simpler. As for the taxes, that's a common fear, but it's untrue, the last name of the baby will not impact your ability to claim him on taxes.

remaining_me
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:21 PM

i'd say both namesif you cant agree on one. i am used to the children having dads last name. i only know single moms whose children have their last name.

Nat_Th3_Cat
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM
He says he's going to be there for me and marry me someday but sometimes when he gets really upset he tries to do the whole "watch it or I'll breakup with you" but he ends up apologizing later on.

Quoting cemcnair:

myusernamedied
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Babies should have their father's last name.

myusernamedied
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

No offense, but that probably means you won't last forever.

Quoting Nat_Th3_Cat:

He says he's going to be there for me and marry me someday but sometimes when he gets really upset he tries to do the whole "watch it or I'll breakup with you" but he ends up apologizing later on.

Quoting cemcnair:

CafeMom Tickers
chickenmomma
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:09 AM

if i wasnt engaged to my future childs father, i wouldnt let him have the last name

only because its easier if you have to sign anything to with your child and medical wise (atleast in canada)

not sure what your mom means tax wise, maybe shes talking about you being able to say your a single mother? not too sure

sorry im not much help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN