Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Baby's Last Name Conflict

Posted by   + Show Post
So basically my boyfriend and I have been constantly having this argument about the baby's last name. My own mother said it would be smarter to just give him my last name (due to tax reason or something, she didn't really explain in detail) but I want to hear some advice from some mommys. Give my son my last name or my boyfriends? Why or why not?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Replies (41-50):
-SamSam-
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:30 AM

I think i t depends on whether or not you feel the father will be around. I am giving my kids their father's last name because he plans on staying with us as a family and all. But even if not I think it is kind of dad's right if he's in the picture.

I think tax reasons has to do with whether he'd be able to claim the child and what not. Depends on your state though I believe.

babycakes041903
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I was in the same boat and decided just to hyphenate. That way she has both mine and his last name... Although I do regret that decision and wish I'd just given her my last name bc he complains about it anyway:( it felt "fair" to me.

MissJordy
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:52 AM
2 moms liked this

If you feel yourself having to ask this question then I suggest you go with either your name (if the relationship is already fragile) OR hyphenate and have both so that its 'fair'. That way when it comes to preschool, school etc. you can actually enrol them with either of the last names depending on how you and your boyfriend are going by that time.

If you can't honestly see you guys staying 'together forever' and getting married then I wouldn't give the baby just his last name.. All these people making comments about babies must have their dads name is bullshit, its totally up to you hun. Good luck! :)

britmichele
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:10 AM
3 moms liked this
If he doesn't want to marry you, so u can all have the same name, I wouldn't give the baby his name. Boys come and go. Mommies are forever
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM
1 mom liked this
my son has MY last name and Im marrying Ryan Reynolds (he just doesnt know it yet) so we will all have the same last name and no one has to change it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
britmichele
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM
And luckily you can change last names for free when you get married, so one day my son and I will both be Harnetts :)

Quoting Jenn8604:

my son has MY last name and Im marrying Ryan Reynolds (he just doesnt know it yet) so we will all have the same last name and no one has to change it.

jeorgiamommie
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:22 AM

It all depends on you and the father's relationship. if you think he will be their and help give it his name if not give it your. my little girl has her dads last name but him and i are married and hes great with her.

BrandonMicheal
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:04 AM

my son has both my last name and my boyfriends last name, thats my opinion :)

BrandonMicheal
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MissJordy:

If you feel yourself having to ask this question then I suggest you go with either your name (if the relationship is already fragile) OR hyphenate and have both so that its 'fair'. That way when it comes to preschool, school etc. you can actually enrol them with either of the last names depending on how you and your boyfriend are going by that time.

If you can't honestly see you guys staying 'together forever' and getting married then I wouldn't give the baby just his last name.. All these people making comments about babies must have their dads name is bullshit, its totally up to you hun. Good luck! :)

i totally agree with you

guerrera221
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:23 AM
I think what your mom means is when it's time to do your tax return, it will be easier if the baby had just your last name. Ask her exactly what she means. I say, if you think the father of your child is going to be a dead beat father, and you're not going to even out him in the birth certificate, don't give him his last name. But I think kids should have BOTH parents last name. At least that's how we do it in my family. My husband wanted just his last name on our daughter, and I told him that if he only wanted one last name, then it would be mine. So he agreed to both. Dads last name comes first, then the moms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)