Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Baby's Last Name Conflict

Posted by   + Show Post
So basically my boyfriend and I have been constantly having this argument about the baby's last name. My own mother said it would be smarter to just give him my last name (due to tax reason or something, she didn't really explain in detail) but I want to hear some advice from some mommys. Give my son my last name or my boyfriends? Why or why not?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Replies (71-73):
squeakers2
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Both my kids have my DF's (their father) last name. I knew that he would be active in their lives. His last name is already hyphenated. The only people with their last name is him, his son, and our 2. I claimed my daughter on my taxes for the last 2 yrs and have had no problems with her having a different last name than me. I haven't had any problems with my son having a different last name from me either.

Do what you feel is right. It is your's and your boyfriend's child, not anyone else's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chikka2
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM

My daughter has her daddys last name. I did it because I knew he would stick around. Even if he didnt then atleast my daughter had some connection to her daddy.

msmom29
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM
If its a big issue give the baby both f your names, nothing wrong with that and I have never heard of the last name effecting taxes. Maybe she thinks if the baby doesn't have your last name you can't claim child as a dependent???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)