Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Hey young moms, how do you do it?

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm talking about finances here. How do you make ends meet if you haven't gone to college and don't have a good paying career/job? How did you keep up with bills when your baby was born, assuming your job didn't give you paid time off? I don't have friends or family to help me, and me and the father aren't together anymore.  I know he'll have to pay child support, but he makes minimum wage and only works 30 hours a week, so I don't think he'd be required to help out too much. I'm not afraid of being a mom, I'm just afraid of not being able to make ends meet.. I'd like to hear from anyone, but mostly single young moms who don't have family to rely on.

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ktcat217
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM
Well, I don't have any personal experience yet but my mother ended up having to be a single mom after my dad left. She's got some disabilities and wasn't able to work at the time, so for a little while we had to be on government assistance while we fixed everything at home. I'd suggest trying to do the same-there's nothing wrong at all with getting help as log as you really need it and plan on doing whatever you can to fix it. My dads child support also helped (when he paid it lol). I know you can't rely on your family for finances, but what about a sitter when you need to work? Don't stress yourself out too much! No matter how dark things get, they somehow always have a strange way of working out. :) Good luck girl!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stacilee1991
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Keep our heads held high. alot of people think that oh your to young youll never make it, well its a lie. i was 17 when i found out i was pregnant, i didnt have a job a home or anything i was bouncing place to place a yr before i got preg. i dropped out of school i had people tell me that i would never amount to anything that i was a high school drop out in which i was, but then i had my daughter. i went back to school and got my ged and have been working in an adult fost home since, it doesnt take a college degree to support a kid. it just takes a strong person to know that they arent a failure and they can full fill there dreams and their kids, i wouldnt trade my daughter for anything. and i have been doing pretty good supporting the both of us and i dont have a college degree but if thats what a teen mom wants my advice is keep pushing never give up and follow your dreams a kid doesnt stop your dreams it just slows them down:)

kels1023
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 6:21 PM

People like you really inspire me :) 

Quoting stacilee1991:

Keep our heads held high. alot of people think that oh your to young youll never make it, well its a lie. i was 17 when i found out i was pregnant, i didnt have a job a home or anything i was bouncing place to place a yr before i got preg. i dropped out of school i had people tell me that i would never amount to anything that i was a high school drop out in which i was, but then i had my daughter. i went back to school and got my ged and have been working in an adult fost home since, it doesnt take a college degree to support a kid. it just takes a strong person to know that they arent a failure and they can full fill there dreams and their kids, i wouldnt trade my daughter for anything. and i have been doing pretty good supporting the both of us and i dont have a college degree but if thats what a teen mom wants my advice is keep pushing never give up and follow your dreams a kid doesnt stop your dreams it just slows them down:)

jack90
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:40 AM

well im a mother of 2 my first baby came when i was 16 and my secound just came on june he is 6 months now and its hard but you can do it im still in high school im not giving up and after that im going to study to be a CNA nurse and right now i get government help with food and wic  my hubby pays the bills and rent with his job he has and we are good if you live in PA you should apply for food stamps im telling you it helps out so much when that baby comes food for them is very expensive wic gives you formula and if you breastfeed you get food  look into it good luck

AthenaGrace
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I'm in alomst the same position, except I'm still with the father and there's other kids involved. I buy almost everything I can from thrift stores or craigslist, and freecycle is good for some big things. If you must buy from stores(ie:food) look for sales and cheap meals, plus coupons. I dropped out in 11th grade and I clean houses for money, so it is really tough to make ends meet with so many hungry little mouths. When we really run low on cash we do odd jobs (raking, shoveling, babysitting, petsitting, anything! This time of year you can wrap gifts for people and charge a couple of dollars per box or pound or whatever) and cash in all our change. If you keep your change in a big jar that nobody dips into, you can redeem all those coins at a coinstar or bank and scrape together a little cash.

ericaaf
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

there are government assistance programs (medicaid,wic,( and wic gives you formula) food stamps, day care assistance, low income housing...and probably more if you ask) that can help you and your baby...just look for them. and do not be ashamed to use them....i had to use medicad and wic when i had my son at 20....you can do it.

JCmoma08
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
first how old are u? 2nd have u tryed goverment housing/income based housing (not section 8) but the goverment funded apartments? they are based off how much money u have. i lived there when i had my first child(also they have programs just for the people living there. they recived grants and payed for me and 11 others to go to school and become a cna). also go to the comunity based services office and find out about food stamps. also ask if they have a transitional program. i got something my state calls k-tap until the state could take my sons father to court to set up childsuport. the foodstamp office should also be able to refer u to get daycare assistance for when u work if u have a job. not the best way to do things but deff good steping stones to getting things going. good luck ask lots of questions at the foodstamp office cause theres also a program that will pay to fix ur car (depending on the cost of course) so u will have transportation. good luck if u have questions u can pm me. i will help any way i can
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
estevansmommy12
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Aww I'm sorry that you are going through all of this. Have you thought about going to school?

I got pregnant at 18 but have my baby's father with me. I was going to a big University but transferred to a small college when I became pregnant. They help you alot and understand what you are going through. Also you can make good friends who can help you out in the meantime.

I couldn't imagine going through pregnancy without my fiancee with me. Or even now that my baby is 3 months old. But lots of women survive. You might need some government help while you get up on your feet.

Don't feel bad to take that help. It's there for people who need it and now it's your time.

Hope I was of some sort of help!

Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Well, i wouldnt be any help because i am married to my baby's father, not single. Good luck though

ShanesMommy2012
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I didn't graduate high school or go to college, neither did my boyfriend. My boyfriend works at McDonald's as a crew member/maintenance worker. He makes over $8 an hour and usually gets around 30 hours a week. We're currently $300 behind on electric/sewer/water but we plan to get caught up with his income taxes. We live paycheck to paycheck but we make it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN