Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Hey young moms, how do you do it?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm talking about finances here. How do you make ends meet if you haven't gone to college and don't have a good paying career/job? How did you keep up with bills when your baby was born, assuming your job didn't give you paid time off? I don't have friends or family to help me, and me and the father aren't together anymore.  I know he'll have to pay child support, but he makes minimum wage and only works 30 hours a week, so I don't think he'd be required to help out too much. I'm not afraid of being a mom, I'm just afraid of not being able to make ends meet.. I'd like to hear from anyone, but mostly single young moms who don't have family to rely on.

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM
Replies (11-19):
remaining_me
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Here's a bump.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TeenMommyToBe7
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM
My boyfriend is 17 and he graduated highschool last year , We found out I was pregnant when he turned 17 and I turned 16 , My bf got a full time job and put college on hold to support me and our unborn daughter Katarina he is now looking at union and trade jobs so the second he turns 18 he will have an even better job , So far he has over a thousand bucks saved and is now working with a roofing company and painting company on the side for 500 bucks extra a week , he is really sacraficing Alot , I work part time at a little boutique but not am on bed rest , and taking online classes
TeenMommyToBe7
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:08 PM
I wouldnt be able to do it without him
clowery
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 6:23 PM
I was in the same situationa few years back other was hard we lived in the city housing section 8 and I had just lost my job. 3 days b4 she was born cause I had messed too much work due to having com applications w y first pregnancy we sensed up on government funding and w all the financial problems we had we almost got a divorce. But we ended up working things out we moved my dh got a welding job he now brings home around 800-1000 a week depending on how much over time he gets I am fortunate to b a sahm. But once the kids are in school I'll be looking another job. And this has been three years ago almost four and once we didn't need the support of the Gove to make ends meet we stoped using them. Just keep ur head up amid keep trying you will get there other does take time n patience
Whitmcg91
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Just work as much as you can and find the best person you can get to watch your baby for free, i had my grandma watch my daughter or my hubbies mom, he had cancer the first year of my daughters life and i supported them both but he couldn't even lift her so i was on my own. We had more expenses than most people having to stay at the hospital and paying medical bills, gas and more... Look into wic and wellfare until you can make enough to support both of you. remember the government will have you work 35+ hours a week in order to get money from them which will be barely enough to live on but your baby will get what he needs and you might be able to afford a really cheap place. They will give you free daycare and help you find work.

kels1023
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:13 AM

I'm 21. Is government housing in safe areas? I know beggers can't be choosers, but I wouldn't want to take care of my baby in a bad neighborhood, especially since I would be living alone. Safety is a big issue for me since there is a lot of crime in Portland.

Quoting JCmoma08:

first how old are u? 2nd have u tryed goverment housing/income based housing (not section 8) but the goverment funded apartments? they are based off how much money u have. i lived there when i had my first child(also they have programs just for the people living there. they recived grants and payed for me and 11 others to go to school and become a cna). also go to the comunity based services office and find out about food stamps. also ask if they have a transitional program. i got something my state calls k-tap until the state could take my sons father to court to set up childsuport. the foodstamp office should also be able to refer u to get daycare assistance for when u work if u have a job. not the best way to do things but deff good steping stones to getting things going. good luck ask lots of questions at the foodstamp office cause theres also a program that will pay to fix ur car (depending on the cost of course) so u will have transportation. good luck if u have questions u can pm me. i will help any way i can

heather4511
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:52 AM
I have family to fall back on..I moved back home and so my job is ok for now. But as a mom you do what you have to do. And make things work. In hard times, I've had to find things of mine to sell for gas money or anything the kids need.
MomaReca
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Is right those governmental programs are there for a reason, use it. Use it as a stepping stone to help you and your baby get closer to the lifestyle you desire. Some people are embarrassed by it but hey everyone needs some type of help sometime

Quoting ericaaf:

there are government assistance programs (medicaid,wic,( and wic gives you formula) food stamps, day care assistance, low income housing...and probably more if you ask) that can help you and your baby...just look for them. and do not be ashamed to use them....i had to use medicad and wic when i had my son at 20....you can do it.

JCmoma08
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:42 PM
idk u could always go look at where the places are before applying. i live in small kentucky town where i lived was pretty safe. i did have some crazy neighbors over the years. i lived there for 3yrs tho and they weed out the bad ppl pretty fast. if u violate ur lease in any way they will catch on. if the cops are called to ur house they get told and will come by to find out why. they dont put up with bs drama like drugs or fighting. so its pretty nice here. plus once u get some good ones that stick chances are they are close to ur age and have kids too u become a comunity. my old neighbors and i still talk and have play dates for our kids :)

Quoting kels1023:

I'm 21. Is government housing in safe areas? I know beggers can't be choosers, but I wouldn't want to take care of my baby in a bad neighborhood, especially since I would be living alone. Safety is a big issue for me since there is a lot of crime in Portland.

Quoting JCmoma08:

first how old are u? 2nd have u tryed goverment housing/income based housing (not section 8) but the goverment funded apartments? they are based off how much money u have. i lived there when i had my first child(also they have programs just for the people living there. they recived grants and payed for me and 11 others to go to school and become a cna). also go to the comunity based services office and find out about food stamps. also ask if they have a transitional program. i got something my state calls k-tap until the state could take my sons father to court to set up childsuport. the foodstamp office should also be able to refer u to get daycare assistance for when u work if u have a job. not the best way to do things but deff good steping stones to getting things going. good luck ask lots of questions at the foodstamp office cause theres also a program that will pay to fix ur car (depending on the cost of course) so u will have transportation. good luck if u have questions u can pm me. i will help any way i can

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)