Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dealing With Dirty looks From Everyone

Posted by   + Show Post

Im 19, married, and we just had our son 2 months ago. when I was pregnant, people gave me these awful looks because im so young. and even now that hes born, i still get nasty looks, no matter where I go. im in the military and am no where near my family, so its hard to just ignore it. I had a fellow service member look at me and ask me "what are you doing with your life?! your still a kid and you have one?! and your married?!" and i wanted to tell him off, but i didnt. I get it, im a teen mom and im already married, but we both love our son more than anything in this world and we provide everything and more for him. how do i just ignore the looks and brush off the comments? because its driving me crazy.

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:56 PM
Replies (11-20):
pauline36
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I was married at 18 and had my son one month before turning 18. Ignore them. You have got to quit dwelling on what others think about you and definitely what they say to you. As the years go by it will become easier. It doesn't really matter what age you are, the looks and remarks do not go away. I am now 39. I have 4, one is 21, 25,13, and my 5 yr. old. I have people ask me "aww is that your grand daughther" and I politely tell them, nope she's the last of my 4 kids and then they shut up, lol. I just learn to ignore them. You will be a great mom and when people ask you what are you doing with your life, just either ignore them or tell them it's none of their business or go on to a full conversation of how you are living your life to the fullest and enjoying every minute of it. Good luck and I wish you the best dealing with judgemental people.

BabyMomma21910
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Just tell them, "what do you mean what am I doing with my life, look what I have already done." and walk off

remaining_me
by Kay on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:12 PM
I think looks are easy to ignore and I would because you honestly are just assuming why you get dirty looks, but making comments is a different story. Its kind of you to say "I get it, I'm a teen mom... " and you are better than me for that because if anyone ever disrespected me like that I wouldn't hesitate to tell them how I feel about them. Rude is rude and his actions make it clear that maturity does not come with age.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:13 PM

When I was 20, I got comments like that too.

lovemybambino
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:45 PM
I was pregnant at my high school graduation, the other girls in school tried to make my senior year Hell. But everyday I showed up at school and sat through it because it was for my daughter. My education was more important to me than the crap-talk.
You are so much stronger than the people who judge and persecute you. Your situation requires you to work harder than most people have to.
You are too strong to give it any attention. You were blessed, and if other people don't look at it like that.... who cares? Because the people that matter won't care, and the people who care don't matter.
(:
MamatoKy
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I was 17....always got dirty looks.

words of my grandmother (rip mom mom)

"that baby isnt going to be loved any less just because shes young, and not married, that baby will get all the love and attention she deserves"

Airman_lover
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM
I get dirty looks because I'm 22 have a 4 year old divorced and now engaged to my boyfriend if 2 years you just learn to ignore the remarks and dirty looks.
AshleyVanDyne
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I completely understand where you are coming from. My husband is military, we recently moved first time ive ever been away from home im 6 and a half months pregnant and im 18 i get those dirty looks all the time. its annoying. 

rayroe2
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

look at this way people think that being 19 is suppose to make you some kind of wild child, and you should be going to college and estbalishing yourself. I never got that bs some of us want to be married and establish a life with are husbands.

1.hot.mama2005
by Esther on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

You just have to learn to ignore it. I know it is easier said than done, but that's the key. I also was married young. I was 17. I had my first baby at 18. My ex hubby was in the Air Force, so I moved with him. I was always getting dirty looks from people. They got worse when I became pregnant with #2. I just learned to ignore it. Just let it go. ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)