Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

should i get a gun to protect my loved ones?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:45 PM
  • 12 Replies
i want to see how many people think i should have a gun in my home to protect my family consider all the shootings that have happened just this year. i am an at home mom with a 1 year old my husband works full time should i even though i dislike guns should to keep my family safe yes or no and why
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidyns_mommy
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 6:50 PM
3 moms liked this
You should not just GET a gun. If you would like a gun to protect your family just encase then you need to practice, learn, & understand guns, gun safety, shooting, what to do in the event of an emergency where you would NEED a gun. (Hearing an intruder and just picking up a gun too shoot them isn't as easy as you might think if you aren't trained and prepared..) Then you & your husband need to make that decision together.. I don't think just because another shooting happened, which is extremely tragic and hurts us all, you should just go get a gun. The reality is you & your children are more likely to die in a car accident before something like this horrific event.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I agree with this

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

You should not just GET a gun. If you would like a gun to protect your family just encase then you need to practice, learn, & understand guns, gun safety, shooting, what to do in the event of an emergency where you would NEED a gun. (Hearing an intruder and just picking up a gun too shoot them isn't as easy as you might think if you aren't trained and prepared..) Then you & your husband need to make that decision together.. I don't think just because another shooting happened, which is extremely tragic and hurts us all, you should just go get a gun. The reality is you & your children are more likely to die in a car accident before something like this horrific event.

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I think that's a personal choice, not something we can tell you. I personally don't like guns and do not want them in my house, especially now that I have a young child. People buy guns when shootings occur and it only causes more people to buy more, and soon there will be more shootings as more and more people get guns and it lands in the wrong person's hands. As the other poster mentioned, this is rare and you are much more likely to be involved in a car accident then to be in a situation where you will need a gun. Just my opinion. This is something that you need to discuss with your husband.

cemcnair
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 11:43 AM
No!
deviljrswifey
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 6:22 PM
My husband is getting one for protection. We have gangs around us. I have my rifle for hunting.
JCmoma08
by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM
i dont have a gun. i have my hunting knife and a bat. thought about a small hand gun my mom has a 9mm ladys side arm. im great with hunting rifles but need a hand gun and some practice. i was raised around guns my dad was military before i was born and around here everybody hunts. if ur a boy u get started as early as 8 cause we have a youth hunting season. i personally didnt get to start going until i was 12. u have to drill respect into ur kids and urself i was tought never have a gun unless u intend to use it (that could be hunting or protection), dont point it at anything u dont intend to kill, and dont point it at some one unless ur gonna use it. if u have a gun and dont use it the intruder could take it from u and use it on u. if ur not prepared to use the gun to protect ur self dont have it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jupiter5
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 4:28 PM

yes! u are a woman, men are stronger than us and there are way too many bad people out there! better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it! just make sure u know how to use it so its never turned on u!

1.hot.mama2005
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 5:52 PM

This!

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

Jenn_A
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Do not get a gun unless you are absolutely positive you can pull that trigger with out hesitation. Do not get a gun if you do not feel completely comfortable with them and can take it apart and put it together. Do not get a gun if you will not practice until you proficient with it! And do not get a gun unless you understand that if you drop the magazine out, it can still be loaded! A lady recently pulled out her gun to show me, dropped the mag, and handed it to me with the muzzle pointed at her 3 year old!! She fainted when I pulled the round out of the chamber. Didn't understand that? Do NOT get a gun until you do!!

Hanab818
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:00 AM

you need to lean to properly clean, shoot, care for a gun before you make that decision. if you cant shoot, clean, care for or have a safe place such as a LOCKED gun safe you should not own a gun. and you should also be proficient in shooting a gun before owning or carrying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN