Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding a gymnast...

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:41 AM
  • 9 Replies

This is not a how to lol. My son is almost two years old and is no where near quitting breastfeeding... I don't want to sound ungrateful because I know there are a lot of mother's who cant breastfeed but for any mother in my position you know that breastfeeding a toddler can be pretty difficult. It is literally like nursing a gymnast! I get elbows to the throat, butt in my face kicked in the ribs etc! I am so happy I was able to nurse my little man but at what age should I stop? Or should I let him nurse until he chooses to stop? If anyone has been in my position or if you just want to give some advice feel free!!! 

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KlingyMomma
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Way to go Momma!! I bfed my wee ones til 15 months, 3 months, 6 months, and going strong with my 4 month old. I say do whatever feels right for you and your wee one =)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:27 AM
My son is 28 months and still nursing. I'm also 7 months pregnant. I will let him keep nursing until he is ready to stop, and tandem nurse when his brother arrives.
We did go over manners though. He is old enough to understand how it is nice to nurse and not hurt mommy. I think you can certainly teach your son to be calm so he doesn't drive you crazy!!
Wtg on 2 years!! I think it is up to you if you want to wean, and you should be very proud!
ittyprincess604
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM
I let DS nurse until he chose to stop at about 2 1/2. If he wanted to longer, I would have let him
pregomom468
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:52 PM

you just have to tell him no..... i know it sounds harsh but it was the only thing my 18 month old. i would offer him a sippy of juice or milk instead. it took about a month before we were completely done. i just took "booby" away little by little one feeding at a time

aniters
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:50 PM
congrats! you're doing an awesome job breastfeeding your toddler :) DS is 1 now and is still pretty calm while nursing lol
rockin2_manyMOM
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM
I nursed until I became to ill to continue. My son was 2 1/2.....
I wanted to nurse until he decided to quit...however itturned out to be a mutual decision lol
But_Mommie
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:36 PM

You breast feed him as long as you are comfortable doing so but there is NOTHING worng with you setting some rules about how he will lay/sit/behave while doing so.  If he is getting silly and throwing elbows- stop for a few minutes and then try again- over and over until he gets it.  He will figure it out!  Best of luck!

Chillisarah
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM

LOL I know what that's like "breastfeeding a gymnast".

I bf my dd for 2 mths and my ds for 2 yrs. I'm nursing my 10 week old ds right now and I'm sure he'll go longer than 2 yrs  - we will see :-)

Chillisarah
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Quoting cemcnair:

My son is 28 months and still nursing. I'm also 7 months pregnant. I will let him keep nursing until he is ready to stop, and tandem nurse when his brother arrives.
We did go over manners though. He is old enough to understand how it is nice to nurse and not hurt mommy. I think you can certainly teach your son to be calm so he doesn't drive you crazy!!
Wtg on 2 years!! I think it is up to you if you want to wean, and you should be very proud!

Yes, teaching bf manners is the way to go :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)