Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To work or not to work...

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:44 PM
  • 1 Replies

Poll

Question: Do I take the job?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 2

View Results

Hi, ladies!  I'm really torn and could use some advice.

My kids are in school full-time now and I decided that I would start looking for part-time work to help pass the time in the day while they're off at school.  I wanted something that would be relatively low stress and that, a few years down the road when my kids are older, would give me the potential to become full-time.  Kind of a foot-in-the-door, kick start my career back into gear type of job. 

I found a great career opportunity in a financial institution, but it isn't quite what I was originally looking for.  It's high-stress position, assisting the advisor working on business and major accounts.  While it is part-time, the lady I would be working with has made it clear she plans to retire in a few years and would like to train me to take over for her.  This is a position they need someone long-term to fill, who won't be leaving in a year or 2 and who wants a career.

I have had 3 great interviews with the last one (today) ending in me being told to expect the job offer from HR by the end of next week. 

Here is the catch.  My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for the past 3.5 years, and have recently started the process of trying to figure out what is going on and possibly start fertility treatments.  We're still in the testing stage and don't plan on taking any overly aggressive steps (IUI or IVF) but we do want to add another child or two to our family.

So here lies my dilemma.  This is an excellent opportunity where I could have a great long-term career.  But if all goes as planned in the baby-making area, I could be going on maternity leave in about a year.  If we had more kids, I would probably stay home to raise them until they were in school full-time, like I have done with my 2 daughters, but we could also never end up getting pregnant again.

Do I take a great position at a place I would love to work doing something I would really enjoy knowing that I could have to give it up very soon down the road (which is something they have made clear they don't want to happen), or do I give up the job knowing that I may never have another baby or another career opportunity as good as this one?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Welcome to the group!  I would take the job if offered!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)