Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

I don't want to say, "I told you so", but come on!

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:45 AM
  • 42 Replies
Nobody, and I mean, NOBODY believes us when we say that our daughter is "high needs" and CAN NOT sleep on her own. Whenever we say that, friends and family alike just give us weird looks like, "Yea right" or "Of course, you guys are first time parents." And then when they get her asleep and try putting her down, she either immediately wakes up, or screams a few minutes later. And so we look at them like, "Told ya so." It's a CAN NOT. She WILL sleep on her own on certain occasions, like in the carseat, but it takes her a bit. And we have tried everything, but no one believes us. The first 3 weeks of her life we did everything we could to keep her out of our bed. We had very sleepless nights, from trying so hard. I'd rather hold her and she get a 3 hour nap instead of putting her down and her getting a 5-20 minute nap. See what I mean??
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shygirl951
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM
My son is like that when he doesn't feel well. You should have a talk with your pediatrician and get things checked out
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kylersmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:55 AM
IMO it just sounds like she has gotten use to you guys holding her to sleep, ect that of course she cries and doesn't sleep long without being held. Again just my opinion. How old is she?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MorganTho
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this
We cosleep for this reason. And instead of putting her down I nurse her on the bed and just unlatch and sneak out. Otherwise at night we sleep together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Do you have a bed time routine? I have a routine and my daughter will sleep in her crib then when my husband and i go to bed or around 12 or 2 a.m. she will get in our bed. She is only 9 months though, and we are going to get her in her own bed hopefully by a year or a year and a half.

cemcnair
by Courtney on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:52 PM
How old is she?
We also co sleep and there's nothing wrong with that!
Tanaisha4
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Either something is wrong or you spoiled your child to where she always needs your touch. Msaybe try having her sleep with something comfortable like a soft blanket or song that will make her feel comfortable. Maybe its not her, but her bed.

MGM.mommy
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:45 PM

My friend's daughter is 5 years old and STILL SLEEPS WITH THEM. They try to put her in her own bed but she comes in there after a couple hours of sleep. They started this when she was a baby, they are first time parents and were scared they wouldnt hear her, etc. But when she stays with me, she starts to throw a fit and I ignore her so she goes back to sleep in her room. Now, she knows when she stays at my home, she sleeps in HER bed.

Maybe you need to let your kid cry herself to sleep and learn that it sleeps in his/her own bed. Holding your baby constantly does nothing but harm because they get used to the constant touch.

cemcnair
by Courtney on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:50 PM
5 moms liked this
Holding your baby and providing them security is perfect and normal. You have not spoiled your child, lol!!
lexismom90
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this
That's how my daughter was for a while just because she was use to us holding her while she slept so when we would lay her down she would wake up. I finally decided during the day I needed to get things done and if she would only sleep 5-20 minutes it just mean eventually she would get tired enough and not care if I put her down. At night for a while we used the swing so we could sleep too. And eventually just slowly got her used to the crib. It still took us a while to get her to fall asleep on her own but eventually we could get her to sleep in our arms then lay her down without waking her.
MaturingMommy
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 5:10 AM
3 moms liked this
I completely understand. I was 16 with my first and everyone was just like "well, you are 16." "You don't know anything about real parenting" etc. I did a lot of research and learning and discover that I am more into attachment parenting based on the ways I have been raising my son so far. He was very high needs now he will be 4 in April and we are fine. He is very well rounded because I gave him what he needed as a baby. We do not believe in letting him "cry-it-out" (no that does not mean we don't let him cry, we just believe if there's something we can do, then we do it.)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)