Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

-please help me under why a a 3 year old killed all 3 of her fish

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:50 PM
  • 11 Replies

please help .

i want up this aftersoon to clean my daughters room to see one fish so crushed in her tank , one fish was not even in the tank. and one was one the floor . i asked her wear the goldfish was she said and pointed so i had my mother come in and look she found the fish and i was skinned along with the other one we asked her way she did this she said cause they are bad she said she did this well everyone was sleeping after she had a bad dream . i was soo upset i could not stop crying i was soo upset with her i acted with anger . i honeslty didnt even wanna look at her ! soo please help me understand why she would do this ?please

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Do you think she knew any better?  Has she had any other behavioral issues?

cuppycakes123
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM

i do think she knows better cause we tell her all the time if u touch the fish it will die and stuff like that and she hasnt really had any other problems ... idk it scares me and she loved the fish sooo...

KylersMom8-16-7
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM
She's three she doesn't understand. Don't get her anymore fish and move on.

We lost our pet lizard and my kids(4 & 5) didn't understand why he wasn't moving. They thought we could just take him to the vet no matter how many times I explained it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachMama05
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I dont think she fully gets why she couldnt kill them. shes only three 

danijean
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM
She is to young to have animals in her room. At 3 kids dont understand life and death. Even if you explained it to her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs

I don't think she fully grasps what she did and that it was wrong. If you get her anymore animals keep them out of her room.

BroCosMom
No offense but my 3 year old well he will be three in 2 weeks would totally understand and my 5 year old understands when people or pets die they go to heaven with Jesus and we can see them again when its out turn to be with Jesus so maybe she does understand I agree though maybe no more fish and let her know what she did was wrong good luck mamma

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

We lost our pet lizard and my kids(4 & 5) didn't understand why he wasn't moving. They thought we could just take him to the vet no matter how many times I explained it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Junesmommy18
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:31 PM
I'm not sure why, but I find it a bit humorous. I did the same thing except I fed them to my cat. Then again... I'm crazy. (Oh and it's not funny fish are dead... It's funny she just pointed at them like, "Where else would they be?"- so just clarifying before the Fish lover skin me alive. lol. Pun intended)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM
2 moms liked this
It's actually normal to not understand.

Newborn to Three Years Child's Perception: Infant/Toddler can sense when there is excitement, sadness, anxiety in the home; can sense when a significant person is missing, presence of new people

1. No understanding of death
2. Absorbs emotions of others around her/him
3. May show signs of irritability
4. May exhibit changes in eating, nursing patterns, crying, and in bowel and bladder movements
5. Depends on nonverbal communications; physical care, affection, reassurances

Three to Six Years Child's Perception: Child thinks death is reversible; temporary, like going to sleep or when a parent goes to work; believes that people who die will come back

1. "Magical thinking"; believes their thoughts, actions, word caused the death; or can bring deceased back; death is punishment for bad behavior
2. Still greatly impacted by parent's emotional state
3. Has difficulty handling abstract concepts such as heaven
4. Regressive behaviors; bed wetting, security blanket, thumb sucking, etc. 5. Difficulty verbalizing therefore acts out feelings 6. Increased aggression - more irritable, aggressive play
7. Will ask the same questions repeatedly in efforts to begin making sense of loss
8. Only capable of showing sadness for short periods of time
9. Escapes into play
10. Somatic symptoms
11. Hungers for affection and physical contact, even from strangers 12. Connects events that don't belong connected
13. May exhibit little anxiety due to belief that deceased is coming back

Quoting BroCosMom:

No offense but my 3 year old well he will be three in 2 weeks would totally understand and my 5 year old understands when people or pets die they go to heaven with Jesus and we can see them again when its out turn to be with Jesus so maybe she does understand I agree though maybe no more fish and let her know what she did was wrong good luck mamma

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM
I highly doubt it was done on purpose or that she understands. No more fish.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)