Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:31 PM
  • 35 Replies

My baby is only four days old, and she's still not taking to my breasts too well. I get too annoyed trying to latch her on, and just give her a bottle after a few minutes of trying and not succeeding.

How long does it take for breastmilk to dry up and not produce anymore if I don't start stimulating them soon?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:42 PM
It can take months to dry up. Do you want to breastfeed? It's still possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Hun you are giving up after 4 days!!!... I mean come on you gotta try a little harder it took me 2 mts to get it and here I am nursing at 8 mts. If you want to breastfeed( truely) you will do what it takes, have you contacted a lactation consultant. The worse thing to do when trying to get a baby to breastfeed is give bottles. By that you have created nipple confusion. Breastfeeding takes effort at first. I ff my first and breastfeed my second and now my third. I would never ever ever give that formula crap again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emily0004
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Talk to a lactation consultant if you can; they can really help a lot. They will show you what a good latch looks like, and help you learn how to get the baby latched on correctly.

The first few weeks with breastfeeding can be tough. The first week is the worst. The baby has to figure out how to latch on properly and suckle and drink. BUT, the more practice she gets, the easier it becomes. And as she gets older, her mouth also gets bigger so it is easier for her to latch on over time.

I had a lot of trouble at first too. Now my baby is almost 12 weeks old and I'm still nursing him. It doesn't hurt at all anymore and he latches on really easily every time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hanab818
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:39 AM
This. It bungs me to see moms give up after 4 days!!!!!!!If you don't want to that's one thing but to give up after 4 days that's just laziness (in. Most cases) and yes your case is a case of laziness. .My friend who's first is a month older then my second cried for weeks because medically she couldn't breast feed and that was after trying for a month to make it work. She was so upset. You give up after a couple of mins. Did you know your baby can tell your getting frustrated and might not want to feed because your behavior. None of my kids have ever had formula. It took about a couple of weeks with each kid for us to sync up and get into a good rhythm when it came to EBF. If you were serious of EBF you would try and get some help. I'm assuming you are since you started in the first place.

And as for milk drying up. My oldest stopped nursing in oct 2011 and when I gave birth to ds2 in march 2012 I was still producing a butt load.

Quoting piwife:

Hun you are giving up after 4 days!!!... I mean come on you gotta try a little harder it took me 2 mts to get it and here I am nursing at 8 mts. If you want to breastfeed( truely) you will do what it takes, have you contacted a lactation consultant. The worse thing to do when trying to get a baby to breastfeed is give bottles. By that you have created nipple confusion. Breastfeeding takes effort at first. I ff my first and breastfeed my second and now my third. I would never ever ever give that formula crap again.

CLysarz
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:35 AM

As to my 'laziness' it's not.

It's called difficulty considering the fact that I will sit there with her for a half hour or more and she does not want to latch to me at all, even with a nipple shield. I've had  breast feeding counselors that has came to my home twice so far, and BOTH of them witnessed this. They both thought it was in my best interest to get a pump as soon as possible, because like I JUST SAID, she does not latch to me like I would want her to.

So before you go and make all of your rude remarks, I suggest you don't. I'm really a mother you don't want to piss off. I'm doing everything I can for my daughter but nothing is working.

Now, have a nice day.

TaralynnStewart
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Ill go out on a limb and say some babies just don't latch. You can try those nipple covers that help with latching but then you have I wean them off of the nipple cover to the actual nipple. My DD is almost 13mths and is EBF and I will be the first to say the first few weeks are not easy. Th only thing you can do is to cont' to try and alway offer the breast before the bottle. Good luck honey.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angellove1119
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Unlike other mothers I'm going to give advice. It is so hard the first couple weeks just keep trying baby and you will get the hang of it. Everything is so new, you are probably extremely tired and stressed I know I was but once everything becomes routine it becomes easy. Go to a local wic office I think they give free lactation services that helped me a lot. Just remember to that bf doesn'tjust benefit your baby it makes you lose weight and you bond with baby more. I also don't think you're lazy for giving a bottle at least you're trying some women just go straight to formula.
angellove1119
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Something my sister in law told me, she had a friend who was ebf and they her lo would always have ear infections and get sick while she was formula feeding and her Lo was perfectly healthy so that just tells you everything riight there. I love this website because I get great advice on here but sometimes some women can just say stuff you don't want to hear. So don't be discouraged.
cemcnair
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM
The first few weeks are the toughest! Get some help, get rid of the bottles, and figure out quick that motherhood takes a kind of patience you have never imagined.
KylersMom8-16-7
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM
I've been through something similar. The biggest issue currently is you are using bottles and nipple shields which can cause nipple preference. I would see an LC again to get tips on how to wean off the nipple shield. Ask them for syringes and maybe an sns(supplemental nursing system) to supplement at the breast.

I would also contact a ENT and have baby checked for tongue and lip ties, this can make it hard or impossible for baby to latch. I suspect this may be the issue.

It's not impossible to get baby to breast but you'll need to find out why baby won't latch and it won't be easy.

Quoting CLysarz:

As to my 'laziness' it's not.

It's called difficulty considering the fact that I will sit there with her for a half hour or more and she does not want to latch to me at all, even with a nipple shield. I've had  breast feeding counselors that has came to my home twice so far, and BOTH of them witnessed this. They both thought it was in my best interest to get a pump as soon as possible, because like I JUST SAID, she does not latch to me like I would want her to.

So before you go and make all of your rude remarks, I suggest you don't. I'm really a mother you don't want to piss off. I'm doing everything I can for my daughter but nothing is working.

Now, have a nice day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)