Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

my son doesnt want to sleep away from me :( what do i do?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:50 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hi, im 22 with a 3 year old son who does not want to part from my bed. as soon as he feels me leave he wakes up from his sleep to scream and yell and cry until i come back. its gotten to the point where i cant even shower in the am or at night. idk what to do to get him not freak. hes slept with me since he was born and i breastfed him exclusively a little over a year. i dont want him to be 6 and still sleeping with me!! help!

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
missdee13
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello. My daughter slept with me when she was a newborn and still sleeps with me now that she's 4 but she was sleeping in her own bed at our old house. Just a few suggestions try things that will comfort him when he's sleeping. A security blanket, teddy bear, a night light? When I have to shower at night and my daughter isn't fully asleep yet I let her know what I'm going to do and to not be scared. When she was smaller I would put a pillow on her back when I left so it felt a little like I was still there. Just a couple things to try out. Hope it helps :)

eds6619
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Ugh this is a hard one. No advice bc my 2 yr old I'd like this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nessa-2
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Wish i had advice im in the same position as u except i have 2 babies who wont sleep without me by their sides

Megz93
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:44 AM
watch supernanny, she has a few techniques for breaking the habit. one is to sit on the floor in his room facing away from him and "actively ignore" him. if he gets out of bed, you put him back without communication. eventually he will get tired and he will realize you will keep following through...but only if you actually do follow through EVERY TIME.
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Can you talk with him and tell him that you're only going to be in the other room and make him understand he is safe? You can try getting him his own bed and letting him pick it out with new bedding and stuff and see if he likes that. You can sit with him while he falls asleep.

I think being consistent will be the key to getting him to sleep independently. You can't say no and then take him in again. Maybe don't say anything for a month and then bring it up well before bed time and talk about being a big boy!

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Sometimes you have to put your foot down and say no. Get him his own bed and tell him that he is a big boy and needs to sleep in his own bed. He may cry and scream, but you just have to ignore him, if he gets out, put him back. He's learned that crying and screaming get him his way and gets you to do what he wants. I know kids who slept with their parents until they were 12 because their parents just wouldn't say no.

dbcmommy
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:58 AM
No advice for you from me I have a 9 month old. He starts in his pack in play next to the bed then around 4-6 he I put him in bed with me. Last night tho I woke up and he magically somehow got in my bed I have no clue how. I agree with the super nanny advice. GL I hope it works for you. :)
AubreeG16
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Ignore him. My twins are 28 months, and they sometimes do that. Just get up anyways and go to the shower, or roll away from him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM

No. Don't ignore him. The last thing he needs is to get his comfort ripped away from him. Some parents are cool with letting their kids feel abandoned... it's not healthy at all though.

Quoting AubreeG16:

Ignore him. My twins are 28 months, and they sometimes do that. Just get up anyways and go to the shower, or roll away from him.

AubreeG16
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM
No.. not abandoned. That probobly sounded harsh... I mean like, tuck him in and say "goodnight, love yous" ect.. but don't give in

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

No. Don't ignore him. The last thing he needs is to get his comfort ripped away from him. Some parents are cool with letting their kids feel abandoned... it's not healthy at all though.

Quoting AubreeG16:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)