Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Biting while nursing?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM
  • 6 Replies
My daughter is almost 10 months old and she recently started biting while nursing. It's really painful and i get nervous every time she begins to feed. She got her first teeth at 9 months so I'm sure her teething is giving her a really hard time right now.
Any tips on how to prevent or ease this?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:00 AM
If she bites tell her no biting, put her down, walk away if you need to, then try again in 5 minutes. Eventually she'll get that biting means no milk:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
20Keller12
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:08 AM
I'd say pump milk and feed her breastmilk in a bottle. If she's teething she's gonna bite. Teething means biting anything that goes in her mouth. Although if the first suggestion works that would be better. Nothing says bonding like breastfeeding.

Quoting ShaniCravin:

My daughter is almost 10 months old and she recently started biting while nursing. It's really painful and i get nervous every time she begins to feed. She got her first teeth at 9 months so I'm sure her teething is giving her a really hard time right now.

20Keller12
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:19 AM
And it sounds like you got lucky. I had my first tooth poke through 4 days before I hit 4 months.
4Seasons-89
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:03 AM
My son is 6 months old. Broke 2 teeth last month and working on another now. He's been biting since last month and nothing I've tried is working so I've been looking for advice on this as well :/
ShaniCravin
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Thanks ladies :) I will try putting her down and waiting next time she bites! Hopefully it works!
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Much easier said then done. If she's never pumped before she may not respond well to it. Getting a 10 month old who's used to the breast to take a bottle will be nearly impossible and cause nipple preference.

My son bit a couple times while teething but he didn't like not getting his milk so he stopped in 2 days. He'll occasionally do it now but he's 16.5 months with more teeth so it sucks. He also yells at me now when I take the boob away but he also understands now when I say no biting.

Quoting 20Keller12:

I'd say pump milk and feed her breastmilk in a bottle. If she's teething she's gonna bite. Teething means biting anything that goes in her mouth. Although if the first suggestion works that would be better. Nothing says bonding like breastfeeding.

Quoting ShaniCravin:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)