Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Baby Names: What & Why

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:14 AM
  • 33 Replies

I love etymology and names fascinate me. I was named for the Goddess of Wisdom (Minerva) and I love my name, so I really just have a thing for them. It's a little strange.

So what have you named your children, why did you pick that, and what do the names mean (if you know)? Also, if you want to know what a name means, ask and I can probably tell you.

So I'll start I guess. My son is James Dimitri Devon and my daughter is Fiona Isobel Octavia Natalie Alexandra.

James is my partner's name and it is actually also my favorite male name. It means "supplanter" and is the Christian variant of the Jewish name Jacob. Dimitri is the Russian version of Demetrius, the masculine Demeter, Goddess of the Harvest. Originally James Sr.  wanted to use the Dmitriy spelling, but I couldn't remember it. Plus Dimitri Belikov.... <3 He's why I wanted the name Dimitri in there. Devon, through a very long line of translation, means "descendent of Damhan." A good friend of mine is named Devin. 

Fiona's name is so much fun. Look at the first letter of all of her names.. F-I-O-N-A! Fiona is the heroine of a book I have been working on. Fiona means "fair" or "white." Isobel was my great-great grandmother, it is the Scottish form of Isabel. Octavia means "eighth." Natalie was James Sr.'s grandmother, it means "Christmas Day." Alexandra is my middle name and Alexander if James Sr.'s, it means "defending men" or "the defender of men."

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
20Keller12
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:15 AM
1 mom liked this
My SO and I are currently tycoon our first. For a girl I chose Areli Rhonda. My mom died of cancer after a 9 month fight. In spite of the fact she knew she was dying, she still fought and was never afraid. Areli means brave, courageous, heroic. Rhonda is my moms name.

My SO chose Blake Jonathon for a boy. That's because of a tradition on his dads side of the family that's been going for 5 or 6 generations now. The firstborn son's middle name is his father's first name. My SO's dad's name is Scott. My SO is Jonathon Scott and our firstborn son will be Blake Jonathon. He said Blake is just the only name he likes with Jonathon.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
20Keller12
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:16 AM
*sigh*. TTC - trying to conceive. Not tycoon.
Maria_Peanut
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:17 AM
Lol!

Quoting 20Keller12:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
20Keller12
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:18 AM
That's beautiful. If she hasn't hit kindergarten yet though, she'll hate you when she does. :P

Quoting LadyMinni:

I love etymology and names fascinate me. I was named for the Goddess of Wisdom (Minerva) and I love my name, so I really just have a thing for them. It's a little strange.

So what have you named your children, why did you pick that, and what do the names mean (if you know)? Also, if you want to know what a name means, ask and I can probably tell you.

So I'll start I guess. My son is James Dimitri Devon and my daughter is Fiona Isobel Octavia Natalie Alexandra.

James is my partner's name and it is actually also my favorite male name. It means "supplanter" and is the Christian variant of the Jewish name Jacob. Dimitri is the Russian version of Demetrius, the masculine Demeter, Goddess of the Harvest. Originally James Sr.  wanted to use the Dmitriy spelling, but I couldn't remember it. Plus Dimitri Belikov.... <3 He's why I wanted the name Dimitri in there. Devon, through a very long line of translation, means "descendent of Damhan." A good friend of mine is named Devin. 

Fiona's name is so much fun. Look at the first letter of all of her names.. F-I-O-N-A! Fiona is the heroine of a book I have been working on. Fiona means "fair" or "white." Isobel was my great-great grandmother, it is the Scottish form of Isabel. Octavia means "eighth." Natalie was James Sr.'s grandmother, it means "Christmas Day." Alexandra is my middle name and Alexander if James Sr.'s, it means "defending men" or "the defender of men."

20Keller12
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:20 AM
I'm mobile and my phone has no idea what all the wacky abbreviations are.

Quoting Maria_Peanut:

Lol!

Quoting 20Keller12:

Maria_Peanut
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:21 AM
I have a Aubrey Ryann.

2 different websites said that Aubrey means miracle or queen of the elves lol but i thought it was beautiful.

I have a very good childhood friend named Ryan. She lost her infant son at birth. She asked would i name DD Ryan after her because she felt connected to her and i agreed. I just added a extra "N" to make it girly.

I know it sounds weird why i named her Ryann lol but it meant alot to us and i love her name. I don't know many girls named Ryann.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maria_Peanut
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:24 AM
Lol trust me i know. I wrote POAS and my phone wrote post. Lol

Good luck trying :)

Quoting 20Keller12:

Quoting Maria_Peanut:

Lol!

Quoting 20Keller12:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
20Keller12
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:01 AM
My phone has turned honey into Gilberto in swype mode.

Quoting Maria_Peanut:

Lol trust me i know. I wrote POAS and my phone wrote post. Lol

Good luck trying :)

Quoting 20Keller12:

Quoting Maria_Peanut:

Lol!

Quoting 20Keller12:

BostonMomma08
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:12 AM
My sons name is Lucas William. He's named after my older brother (Andrew Lucas) and my farther (James William). I have always loved the name and when I found out I was pregnant I knew that if I had a boy I was going to name him either Lucas William or William Lucas. But besides just loving the name I think the meanings fit him so well. Lucas means bringer of light in Latin and the Patron saint of doctors, artists, and creatives in Greek. William means determined protector.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Proud-mommy-of2
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:53 AM
I have two kids. My daughters name is dahlia Lynn. Dahlia us Scandinavian and English origin. The meaning of dahlia is "flower name" . I chose Lynn for her middle name cause it is my sisters middle name. My sons name is bentley Edward. Bentley is English origin and means coarse grass meadow. I chose Edward has his middle name cause it's my fianc├ęs middle name. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN