Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Baby Names: What & Why

Posted by   + Show Post

I love etymology and names fascinate me. I was named for the Goddess of Wisdom (Minerva) and I love my name, so I really just have a thing for them. It's a little strange.

So what have you named your children, why did you pick that, and what do the names mean (if you know)? Also, if you want to know what a name means, ask and I can probably tell you.

So I'll start I guess. My son is James Dimitri Devon and my daughter is Fiona Isobel Octavia Natalie Alexandra.

James is my partner's name and it is actually also my favorite male name. It means "supplanter" and is the Christian variant of the Jewish name Jacob. Dimitri is the Russian version of Demetrius, the masculine Demeter, Goddess of the Harvest. Originally James Sr.  wanted to use the Dmitriy spelling, but I couldn't remember it. Plus Dimitri Belikov.... <3 He's why I wanted the name Dimitri in there. Devon, through a very long line of translation, means "descendent of Damhan." A good friend of mine is named Devin. 

Fiona's name is so much fun. Look at the first letter of all of her names.. F-I-O-N-A! Fiona is the heroine of a book I have been working on. Fiona means "fair" or "white." Isobel was my great-great grandmother, it is the Scottish form of Isabel. Octavia means "eighth." Natalie was James Sr.'s grandmother, it means "Christmas Day." Alexandra is my middle name and Alexander if James Sr.'s, it means "defending men" or "the defender of men."

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Replies (11-20):
erinmomofone
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:05 AM
My daughter is Kyleigh Rae. I liked Leigh in her name but all the names I suggested to her father he didn't like. So after I delivered her I said Kyleigh and that's the name she got. I am not sure what her names mean. Rae is because part of my middle name is Mae so Rae was one I liked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinmomofone
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:06 AM
Btw love the name Fiona!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
young-mommy10
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:25 AM
My sons name is Kaedin Michael, we found it in a list when we were pregnant and I just loved it and knew it was his name, the spelling I came up with from a mix of different spellings of the name I had seen, since its so popular I wanted it a little different but still recognizable. Michael is df's brothers middle name, they are very close so he chose that to be ds middle name and I think it fits perfectly.

We are expecting our second son April 4, and his name will be Sylas Matthew. Again, we found Silas on a list, df said if we went with that name he wanted to change I to Y.. So, there we have that. I've been told its a very old name. Matthew is my dads middle name, and I wanted to pass a name from my family as well, it's the only one df really cared for that also goes with Sylas well, plus I'm very close to my dad.

So I have Kaedin Michael and Sylas Matthew. Other than knowing Sylas is a very old name I'm not sure all the meanings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adwarfstar
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Sadie Marina. Sadie is an older, less popular name nowadays. comes from Sarah, meaning Princess. Marina is my boyfriend's mom's maiden name. means sea maiden. (hehe maiden name. sea maiden.) rolling on floor

raechelking92
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I /LOVE/ these posts! DF & I have a list of 4 names we like, I picked the girls names and he picked the boys names. I haven't had time to look up what the names mean but I love them anyways :P 

For girls names I love :

Bethany Lilly

&

Mercy Delilah

For boys names DF loves:

Timothy Drake

&

Kyle Rayner

(I just know that both of the names he likes are comic book referances since he's a /HUGE/ comic book fan, one name is from Batman & the other is from Green Lantern..)

JTriches
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I believe first names should be simple.  Middle names can get creative

mylovelylife
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:01 PM
My sons name is Noah Matthew. Noah means rest; comfort and Matthew gift of God. I just fell in lobe with Noah I dont really hear it I hear Matthew often but the meaning was too beautiful to pass up. Im pregnant with #2 if the baby is a girl her name will be Savannah Aubrey. Savannah means plateau I dont even know what that means lol and Aubrey means queen of elfs. Now we chose this name because of the daddy he loves the name Savannah and I love Aubrey. We might spell it Aubree and if the baby is boy his name will be Josiah Cloise. Josiah means the lord saves and Cloise has no meaning we are naming him Cloise because he was my SO cousin he got murdered outside a bar and he was very close to him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsBridges19
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Romeo Bradley
Romeo because I like the name and Bradley for my favorite hockey player.

Jamie Vincent
Jamie because I love the name Jamie (as a boy's name.  I hate it as a girl's name) and Vincent for my second favorite hockey player.

MrsBridges19
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:26 PM

In geology and earth science, a plateau also called a high plain or tableland, is an area of highland, usually consisting of relatively flat terrain.

Quoting mylovelylife:

My sons name is Noah Matthew. Noah means rest; comfort and Matthew gift of God. I just fell in lobe with Noah I dont really hear it I hear Matthew often but the meaning was too beautiful to pass up. Im pregnant with #2 if the baby is a girl her name will be Savannah Aubrey. Savannah means plateau I dont even know what that means lol and Aubrey means queen of elfs. Now we chose this name because of the daddy he loves the name Savannah and I love Aubrey. We might spell it Aubree and if the baby is boy his name will be Josiah Cloise. Josiah means the lord saves and Cloise has no meaning we are naming him Cloise because he was my SO cousin he got murdered outside a bar and he was very close to him.

MrsBridges19
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM

That's not so weird.  My sister named her son Jesse after a male friend she had in high school.  He ran away from home and froze to death in a sewer.  I know it's all morbid, but I think paying someone honor like that is touching.

Quoting Maria_Peanut:

I have a Aubrey Ryann.

2 different websites said that Aubrey means miracle or queen of the elves lol but i thought it was beautiful.

I have a very good childhood friend named Ryan. She lost her infant son at birth. She asked would i name DD Ryan after her because she felt connected to her and i agreed. I just added a extra "N" to make it girly.

I know it sounds weird why i named her Ryann lol but it meant alot to us and i love her name. I don't know many girls named Ryann.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)