Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

she won't sleep on her own

Hi everyone I'm a first-time mom.  I am a stay-at-home, 22 years old, and my  DD will be 11 months in a couple days.  I've been trying to get my DD to learn to fell asleep on her own, but she doesn't want to go to bed until around 10 or 11 pm, we are trying to get her used to go to bed by at the latest 9 pm.  It's a fight, we get her all ready for bed, give her her bottle, brush her teeth/gums have her say good night to everyone and take her up to bed.  The DH and I end up going back up and 3-5 times each (so like 6-10 times) to get her to stop fussing so much, crying or lately she's has starting screaming.  I love my babygirl but, I'm more tired now then I was when she was a newborn.  When she was that little, she would wake up like once or twince during the night to eat and get changed that go back to sleep.  She'd go to bed by between 7-8pm.  The older she gets, the harder it is to get her to bed or stay asleep.  During the day, she takes 1 or 2 naps, if its 1 nap she will sleep for an hr to and 1.5 hrs if its two naps she will sleep for 15 to 45 mins per nap.  Most of the time though she has been taken just an afternoon nap.  Any one have any ideas?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Replies (11-16):
Hanab818
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Try sticking with one method. I suggest rocking that way she can have a set pattern. And shell think Ooh mommy or daddy is rocking me it's bed time and she'll know what's coming and what to expect. Eventually she won't need you to rock her.

Quoting Nicki1995:

Oh wow. That is awesome! I have been laying my daughter down after i get her to sleep and if she wakes up, i will lay her back down and pat her back until she goes back to sleep. If that doesnt work then i either rock her back to sleep and lay her back down or put her in our bed!

Quoting Hanab818:

both my kids go to sleep alone and did so at 10 months. i did a modified Ferber method with ds 2 that worked great. the regular Ferber method worked in 3 days with ds1 tho.

with ds 2 i would nurse him for his normaly 30 mins by then hw would be asleep. then i would pick him up he would be slightly awake and i would put him down then he will cry/ whine for 5 mins and i would go in there pick him up and rock him till hes slightly awake again then rinse and repeat. he evtually was able to just roll over and go back to sleep and when he wakes up at night he just stands up says mama then go back down kicks his feet babbles and goes back to bed.

op you might want to try puting the baby down sooner then 9. if they are overtired they will have a harder time. but SLOWLY move up her bed time like 15 mins every week. eventually she will be tired at the desire time. she will fight you when you strat trying to put her to bed earlier but she will eventually get easier when shes getting a good amount of sleep. ds 1 sleeps 10 to 11 hours at night and a 1 to 3 hour nap (hes 2) and ds2 sleeps 10 to 11 hours a night and about 3 hours during the day.

Quoting Nicki1995:

My daughter doesnt fall asleep on her own either (10 months). I wouldnt really expect it this early. I bathe my daughter, give her a bottle, rock her to sleep, and put her to bed usually by 8:30. You just have to be patient. What time is her latest nap usually?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Alright, thank you for the advice! =)

Quoting Hanab818:

Try sticking with one method. I suggest rocking that way she can have a set pattern. And shell think Ooh mommy or daddy is rocking me it's bed time and she'll know what's coming and what to expect. Eventually she won't need you to rock her.

Quoting Nicki1995:

Oh wow. That is awesome! I have been laying my daughter down after i get her to sleep and if she wakes up, i will lay her back down and pat her back until she goes back to sleep. If that doesnt work then i either rock her back to sleep and lay her back down or put her in our bed!

Quoting Hanab818:

both my kids go to sleep alone and did so at 10 months. i did a modified Ferber method with ds 2 that worked great. the regular Ferber method worked in 3 days with ds1 tho.

with ds 2 i would nurse him for his normaly 30 mins by then hw would be asleep. then i would pick him up he would be slightly awake and i would put him down then he will cry/ whine for 5 mins and i would go in there pick him up and rock him till hes slightly awake again then rinse and repeat. he evtually was able to just roll over and go back to sleep and when he wakes up at night he just stands up says mama then go back down kicks his feet babbles and goes back to bed.

op you might want to try puting the baby down sooner then 9. if they are overtired they will have a harder time. but SLOWLY move up her bed time like 15 mins every week. eventually she will be tired at the desire time. she will fight you when you strat trying to put her to bed earlier but she will eventually get easier when shes getting a good amount of sleep. ds 1 sleeps 10 to 11 hours at night and a 1 to 3 hour nap (hes 2) and ds2 sleeps 10 to 11 hours a night and about 3 hours during the day.

Quoting Nicki1995:

My daughter doesnt fall asleep on her own either (10 months). I wouldnt really expect it this early. I bathe my daughter, give her a bottle, rock her to sleep, and put her to bed usually by 8:30. You just have to be patient. What time is her latest nap usually?

LoveMyLos
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:31 AM
Have you tried letting her cry it out? Its not for everyone, but it sounds like she cries bc mama will come running. I dont like it really, but had to do it for our sanity and it worked wonders.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hanab818
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:31 AM
No problem. How it works for you.

Quoting Nicki1995:

Alright, thank you for the advice! =)

Quoting Hanab818:

Quoting Nicki1995:

Quoting Hanab818:

Quoting Nicki1995:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Does she have a music box/busy box strapped to her crib?  I would work to try and get her on a schedule again.  Get her up in the morning at the same time, after breakfast play with her -- take her for a walk (if she's walking with help) to wear her out and then put her down for a nap before lunch.  After lunch the same thing.  After dinner, start a bedtime routine.  Nice warm bath/play time to relax her.  Then snack and then bottle and story time and then brush her teeth and then some cuddle time and lullabies before tucking her in. 

midjet117
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM

my 3 yr old still sleeps with me. i dont force her to go to bed at  such and such time, she falls asleep when shes tired, normally 10ish. She wakes in the middle of the night on and off. she naps at about 3 or 4 or even later.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)