Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

I am so sick of older people bashing me because I got pregnant young. Are you?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

I don't understand why people are so rude to young mothers. Yes we had out child younger then most, but that shouldn't change anything. We are still great mothers, and we all want what's best for our child. We went through nine months of carrying a child inside of us, just like you. We went to all the prenatal check-ups, just like you. We also got excited over every little detail we learned about our baby, just like you. Just because we had our child young doesn't mean we aren't just as good as a mother as an older person. Age shouldn't matter, and if you think I'm going to let someone tell me I should of had an abortion or gave my son up for adoption just because I got pregnant young, then you have another thing coming. I will be the best mother I can possibly be. I don't need your rude comments telling me other wise.
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sydneysmommy1st
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you totally. But everyone bashes young mothers like they can't do it or shouldn't have gotten pregnant.  Well guess what i got pregnant at 15 intentionally and i am still with the father and we are doing fantastic and not struggling or having a horrible relationship and now have another child and have been together almost 11 years. Oh and guess what else i still finished school and raised my child and live in a very nice home in a nice neighborhood and guess what else even though i had our daughter young believe it or not we pay our own rent and bills without assistance and have a brand new car with a note that we pay on every month. I wish everyone would not stereotype all young mothers into one catagory. I know a lot don't do well but that is not all of them either.

Maybe instead of bashing we should try to support and help these young girls become the best mother they can possibly be and to become successful members of society. Instead of bashing and putting them down all the time.

( This is directed at no particular person)

Surprise_Baby00
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I agree. I'm 22 and pregnant with my 4th, my first three were planned (this one wasn't). I'm a great mother. Sure, I make mistakes, but so do all moms, regardless of age. I've been judged, I've been called names, I've been ignored, I've been treated very badly, and all because I had kids young. During my first pregnancy, it would send me into a fit of tears, I'd be so upset, hurt, and angry that anyone would dare judge me. Then, I met some other teen moms, and realized that, sadly, people have valid reasons before saying what they do and treating us as they do. It doesn't make it right, but I can't fault them, because after the last few years of meeting and knowing other young moms, I do the same thing now, just because I only know one other young mother besides myself who is a good mom. So, while I don't put up with the judgment or rude comments, I also don't let it bother me. I am just the best mother that I can be, and that's all I can do. One of my best friends now, is actually one of the women who treated me worst when I first shared the news that not only was I pregnant at 18, we'd planned it. She was awful to me, but now, we are best friends. 

Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Thats right! You tell it girl! My husband (baby's father) and i planned my daughter the month before i turned 16 and got married a week after i turned 16. I am 17 and a half. We will be married for 2 years this year and together for 4 a couple of months later. I DO NOT regret my choices, and i know damn well that i am an amazing mother! Yeah, i formula fed because i couldnt breastfeed, but it isnt like i ruined my child's life, and she isnt overweight. Yeah, we still currently live with my parents, but they want to make sure that my husband's job is stable before letting us save for a home (of course). Even though we live with my parents, we get no governmental assistance and we buy all of the things that we need. People seem to think that young mothers dont know what they are doing and are bad mothers, but that is dumb because i have seen PLENTY of older mothers that dont raise their kids very well. Dont worry about what other people say. Just worry about your family and show the people that done like it how much it doesnt matter to you what they think! =)

Shyndi
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I can relate. I was treated the same and always get that rude comment thrown in my face "no one told you to have a baby so young" I am 22 years old and live with the father of my child. I bust my butt working and going to school AND I take care of my own son. I don't party (never did) or leave my son unattended. No one else pays my bills so why the heck does it give them the right to judge?? Its soooo wrong for ppl to do that and I still even get those comments some even worse but I don't tolerate them I do open my mouth when it involves my child. We gotta stand up!!!!

nikki554
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I am 27, married  and have three daughters. I had my first when I was 20. I am currently in college and have classes with alot of younger girls. It really gets on my nerves when they talk about the mistakes of getting married at a young age and "Screwing" up out lives because of a pregnancy. And that we trap the fathers of our children. I always want to speak up becasue it offends me so much, but I dont say anything. It is really annoying to me that so many people can say that they are not prejudice or biased, but they will throw people under the bus in a heartbeat. 

20Keller12
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Everyone seems to forget that just 200 years ago, if a woman wasn't married with at least one child by the age of 16, she was pretty much a failure. Girls were married and having kids basically the moment they got their menstrual cycle and they were a hell of a lot better mothers than most women are today.

Ciaodarlings
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
"Age shouldn't matter." - It should if a CHILD is getting pregnant. Unfortunately there are 13/14/15 year olds out there *trying* to get pregnant because they believe they'd be good mothers.

That isn't and never will be okay.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eds6619
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Awww I'm sorry you are being bashed.

Hanab818
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:10 PM

its the way of the world. in all honestly and im not trying to rude or bitch but get over it. people will always judge you no matter what. if you have kids young or old or how you parent or look or dress or what you eat to name a few. if you concern yourself with what others think it will eventually wear you down. just let it roll off your back and move on. prove you are better then that by ignoring the bull shit and focusing on the family. its unnneded stress you are putting it on yourself even letting it get to you a little.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN