Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Keeping My Son in Diapers?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM
  • 13 Replies

My son, Jacky was born in 2010 and the potty training day came around. I tried to do the basic potty training things with him but he would not sit still and threw a tantrum everytime I sat him on the potty. So finally i decided to postpone potty training. Then came last month when my mom suggessted I should try again. We watched an elmo potty video together and then I took him into my bathroom to use the potty. When I sat him down he had an extremely sad expression on his face. When I asked him what was wrong he said that he did not want to get out of diapers. My heart being broken I put his pull- up back on and told him he didn't have to. Did I do the right thing?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this
He may not be ready. My second just potty trained during the day and he's 4.

Does he have a potty chair? Have you tried a reward system? Have you gotten him cool underwear?

Make it fun and maybe he'll get more excited:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Henrysmomma0915
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:51 AM
This. He may just not be ready quite yet. My son was also born in 2010 and we have talked about the potty and he uses the potty sometimes such as before baths and when we go to change his diaper. But we don't force it. He's still in diapers

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

He may not be ready. My second just potty trained during the day and he's 4.

Does he have a potty chair? Have you tried a reward system? Have you gotten him cool underwear?

Make it fun and maybe he'll get more excited:-)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Proud-mommy-of2
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
He may not be ready.give it time ad eventually he'll wat to go to the potty. My daughter didn't have a choice in the mattercause I ran out of diapers & I didn't have money to get more. So I stuck her in big underwear and made her sit on the potty until she went. And now she's 2 1/2 years old and has been going potty all by herself for almost a year now :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hanab818
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:49 AM

yes. child led potty traing is best for your and babies sananity.  when he is ready he will let you know.

supercarp
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM

How old is he?

AleaKat
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Mine just turned 3 last month and every time I try he screams. He has no interest what so ever!
My oldest was a late potty user as well. I think as long as they are ready for school then you're okay. We have a Disney trip planed this fall. I'm hoping we can make some progress by then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IansMommy2012
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Let him tell you! :) hell only do it when he's ready :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twade26
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Boys take longer but you cannot keep giving in to him because he will never be potty trained. It took my son until he was almost 4 because I kept giving in to the tantrums and the plees and now I regret it because once we got over the initial hump he was fine.

squeakers2
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Some kids take time. Ask him periodically, but don't force it. He will let you know when he is ready.

My stepson didn't use the potty till he was 3 1/2, right after his sister (my daughter) was born. Both his mom and us tried to train him before that, but he would freak out when we'd go near the little potty or the toliet. If we told him we wouldn't buy him anymore diapers, he would say his mom would buy them. If his mom told him she wouldn't buy them, he'd tell her we would. Lol. Gotta love kids who try to con you. Maybe 2 months after he daytime trained, he was nighttime trained too.

My daughter didn't potty train until right before her 3rd birthday. She has juvenile arthritis and we were told training might be difficult bc of her pain levels and her meds, which cause her to drink more and can cause diarreha and such. We just left the potty seat in the living room and let her play with it. I was pregnant at the time we started really pushing it and was due soon. She told us she wanted to us the potty about a month before her birthday bc she wanted to be able to go to school. The first day was good. The second day, she wanted to wear a pull up and I told her no. She stood right next to the potty and peed on the floor, her eyes locked on me the whole time. She did it a few more times that first week. Lol. Her dad set her down and ask her to use the potty so we could let the baby use her diapers. She agreed. Haven't had too many problems with her since that first week. She still needs a diaper at night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Wait until he's ready and he takes an interest in it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)