Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any NICU mommys here ?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM
  • 28 Replies
My son was born August 9th 2012 and was in the nicu for a month due to Gastroschisis. He also has svt and an asd. It was so heartbreaking but it helps to talk about it with other moms. Anyone else go through anything like this at all?
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosekit
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm so sorry :( My heart goes out to you. My oldest child was in the NICU for 11 weeks. She was born at 31 weeks. I was 15. She's a happy, healthy, perfect 7 year old now. 

sheriquattro
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a nicu grandma.  My granddaughter was born Aug. 10, 2012 and also spent a month in the nicu.  She weighed 2 lbs, 14 oz.  Thank God she had no major issues and was breathing on her own right from the start..  She is now almost 6 months and a whopping 16 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hope that your son is doing great now.  It is a very scary thing for any new mom or grandma.

KassidieCay8912
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:56 PM
[quote name="rosekit" id="0"]

I'm so sorry :( My heart goes out to you. My oldest child was in the NICU for 11 weeks. She was born at 31 weeks. I was 15. She's a happy, healthy, perfect 7 year old now. 

[/quote
Thank you <3 I'm sorry as well you had to experience a stay in the nicu. I'm glad she grew up healthy hopefully with no complications along the way :) why was your stay so long? If you don't mind my asking
KassidieCay8912
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting sheriquattro:

I'm a nicu grandma.  My granddaughter was born Aug. 10, 2012 and also spent a month in the nicu.  She weighed 2 lbs, 14 oz.  Thank God she had no major issues and was breathing on her own right from the start..  She is now almost 6 months and a whopping 16 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hope that your son is doing great now.  It is a very scary thing for any new mom or grandma.

Oh my that's so tiny! Dang she's a little chunky baby now ;) haha I hope she does well and continues down a healthy path:) that's great she could breathe on her own. My lil man had to be on a ventilator:(
kmencl3210
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

We've done NICU twice so far (hoping #3 doesn't go to NICU!!) My oldest was born @ 31 weeks, my water broke at 20 weeks and I was already in the hospital when I went into labor, he spent 3 weeks in NICU on a bunch of monitors and machines and such because of under developed lungs, needing a feeding tube, etc. After the 3 NICU weeks he spent another 3 in a regular nursery in the hospital, He's now 4.5 with no health issues (we were told he wouldn't make it multiple times) 
Baby #2 was born at 37 weeks, seemed fine for the first 20 hours and ended up having surgery and being sent to the NICU because he had pneumonia and a collapsed lung... He stayed til the pneumonia treatments were done and than came straight home, he's 18 months now also no issues related to that at least and the scar is tiny and basically unnoticable 

KassidieCay8912
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Quoting kmencl3210:

We've done NICU twice so far (hoping #3 doesn't go to NICU!!) My oldest was born @ 31 weeks, my water broke at 20 weeks and I was already in the hospital when I went into labor, he spent 3 weeks in NICU on a bunch of monitors and machines and such because of under developed lungs, needing a feeding tube, etc. After the 3 NICU weeks he spent another 3 in a regular nursery in the hospital, He's now 4.5 with no health issues (we were told he wouldn't make it multiple times) Baby #2 was born at 37 weeks, seemed fine for the first 20 hours and ended up having surgery and being sent to the NICU because he had pneumonia and a collapsed lung... He stayed til the pneumonia treatments were done and than came straight home, he's 18 months now also no issues related to that at least and the scar is tiny and basically unnoticable 

Im so sorry! That sounds miserable. The way I try to see it so that I'm not just constantly wondering "why did this happen to my baby" is that it gives you that much more of a reason to appreciate every moment you have with your children and to love them as much as possible. I sincerely hope things go well for your new arrival and wish your family the absolute best of luck <3 I know how it is to see your baby hooked up to a monitor and tubes everywhere and its heart breaking. My baby is 5 months now and is still having problems but there's no doubt from his surgens or cardiologist that he won't make it. We are waiting to see if he will need heart surgery or not.
kmencl3210
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Quoting KassidieCay8912:

Quoting kmencl3210:

We've done NICU twice so far (hoping #3 doesn't go to NICU!!) My oldest was born @ 31 weeks, my water broke at 20 weeks and I was already in the hospital when I went into labor, he spent 3 weeks in NICU on a bunch of monitors and machines and such because of under developed lungs, needing a feeding tube, etc. After the 3 NICU weeks he spent another 3 in a regular nursery in the hospital, He's now 4.5 with no health issues (we were told he wouldn't make it multiple times) Baby #2 was born at 37 weeks, seemed fine for the first 20 hours and ended up having surgery and being sent to the NICU because he had pneumonia and a collapsed lung... He stayed til the pneumonia treatments were done and than came straight home, he's 18 months now also no issues related to that at least and the scar is tiny and basically unnoticable 

Im so sorry! That sounds miserable. The way I try to see it so that I'm not just constantly wondering "why did this happen to my baby" is that it gives you that much more of a reason to appreciate every moment you have with your children and to love them as much as possible. I sincerely hope things go well for your new arrival and wish your family the absolute best of luck <3 I know how it is to see your baby hooked up to a monitor and tubes everywhere and its heart breaking. My baby is 5 months now and is still having problems but there's no doubt from his surgens or cardiologist that he won't make it. We are waiting to see if he will need heart surgery or not.

It was horrible, both times, the first time I was only 16 so it made it that much scarier, I had no idea what was happening and I didnt even get to see him til he was a few hours old... I surprisingly stayed pretty positive, considering, never really had the "why me/us" thoughts.. I think I'd have driven myself insane doing that lol. 
Thanks we joked saying my youngest was jealous that his brother got so much attention when he was born being in NICU he didn't wanna be left out ;) I told DH this baby had better not be jealous too cause I want to enjoy the first few days and bring him home right away! The tubes, wires, monitors, etc are scary but after a little while its not *as* bad. I can't imagine dealing with it for that long I'm sorry it has to be hard, we were lucky it was only a few weeks but good to hear he's doing well!
My brother was actually in the NICU cause he had pneumonia as well but they also found a hole in his heart, he's 2.5 now and it took care of itself but I remember my mom had to do tons of doctors appointments once he was home and we were constantly worried it wouldnt heal or would get worse 

mrsrodgers0703
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:12 PM
My son was born November 23, 2011 at 30 Weeks gestation. He was in the nicu for two months.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KassidieCay8912
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Im 16 as well and this is my first. I did drive myself insane I was constantly worried I would lose my baby. I was honeslty jealous of my friends with babies because they all smoked and drank and even did drugs while pregnant and their babies were all fine. I didn't do a single thing wrong, I didn't even so much as drink caffeine or take Tylenol for pain. my baby went into surgery immediately after birth and same as you I didn't get to see him for hours and couldn't hold him until he was a week old. My son has asd too which is a hole in his heart.
BostonMomma08
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:29 PM
I was 15 when I got pregnant and 15 when I had my little man! My son was born at 29 weeks weighing 1 lb. 14 oz. and 14", his main problems were BPD and apnea. He was in the nicu for 3 months... Those 3 months were very rough, especially when I had to go back to school... The first few weeks were horrible, I didn't know if my son was going to even survive. But he was a fighter! And now he's a happy, smart and for the most part healthy (he still has some breathing issues but they're well controlled with his meds) 4 1/2 year old little boy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)