Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Why so young?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM
  • 80 Replies
Let me start by saying I'm not trying to judge or bash anyone with this post!! My question is why are so many girls planning to have babies at 15 and 16 years old?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosekit
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I had my daughter at 15, but she was NOT planned. I didn't want to get pregnant, and if I'd had a choice, I wouldn't have gotten pregnant. I'm 23 now, and a mother of 4, 7 2, 13 months, and 3 weeks. Unfortunately, my younger sister did plan to get pregnant at a young age, she's 17 now with a 4 month old, she just turned 17 a couple of weeks ago. She did it because she wanted our parents to support her the way they did me when I got pregnant and had my child (I was able to move out and fully support my daughter and myself by 18). My parents aren't nearly as understanding with my sister, who actively tried to get pregnant, as they were for me, in my situation. I will never understand why anyone plans to have a child they can't afford. An accident is one thing, though many of those could be prevented with the PROPER use of birth control, but I can still understand that. I can't understand planning for a child when you can't even drive, or afford to take care of yourself. 

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:12 PM
The only person I know who planned a child that young did it because she wanted to be clean from meth and knew that that was the only way she would be able to stay clean. Her child is 6 or 7 now and as far as I know its worked. I see her from time to time and she looks healthy and happy and successful.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Immaturity. They don't think about the reality of having a baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KassidieCay8912
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM
3 moms liked this
Immaturity? Ha that's funny because I'm 16 and have a 6 month old, and me and my fiance have our own apartment. I'm also still in school and my baby is strictly breast Fed! You can be young and be ready to be a mom. Not everyone is the same.
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:20 PM
You're an exception. Many teens have a baby thinking it will be all sunshine and roses. The reality is teens should not be planning babies before they are graduated and have financial stability. A baby is a huge responsibility not a doll. Many teens don't understand that this is a lifetime commitment, they don't think beyond the newborn stage. Hell most don't realize how hard the newborn stage is not to mention toddlerhood! You shouldn't have babies before you're an adult in most cases.

I was a mom for the first time at 17 and had two more by 21. My kids are 5.5, 4, and almost 17 months. I'm also still nursing my youngest(13 months exclusively) so way to go:-)

Quoting KassidieCay8912:

Immaturity? Ha that's funny because I'm 16 and have a 6 month old, and me and my fiance have our own apartment. I'm also still in school and my baby is strictly breast Fed! You can be young and be ready to be a mom. Not everyone is the same.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jupiter5
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
It's just society dictating the "right age" for conception, the female body is actually ready and able to start having kids at 15 it's healthiest between 15-22 we just live in 2012 where a decent education takes 18 years to learn... That said I still think its better to wait but it's also a personal decision, society sets it up so that it's extremely difficult to have kids young

Quoting KassidieCay8912:

cemcnair
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Did you mean to get pregnant?

Quoting KassidieCay8912:

Ciaodarlings
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Then consider yourself the exception, not the rule. MANY girls your age look at having a baby through rose colored glasses not knowing what the hell they're getting themselves into.

Quoting KassidieCay8912:

midjet117
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:37 PM
I agree. Then you hit your mid to late 20's and you're like damn, i wish i had taken more time out to party and enjoy being a young adult before i settled and had kids

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Immaturity. They don't think about the reality of having a baby.
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:44 PM
3 moms liked this
Sorry but I'm going to disagree here. Just because you CAN get pregnant doesn't mean your body is ready. Having babies in your teens has it's risks.

Coupled with the fact a teens brain is still not fully developed, specifically the frontal lobe , which is the part of the brain that manages impulse control, judgment, insight, and emotional control.

Quoting jupiter5:

It's just society dictating the "right age" for conception, the female body is actually ready and able to start having kids at 15 it's healthiest between 15-22 we just live in 2012 where a decent education takes 18 years to learn... That said I still think its better to wait but it's also a personal decision, society sets it up so that it's extremely difficult to have kids young

Quoting KassidieCay8912:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN