Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

I need to produce more breast milk!!!!! update**

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:05 AM
  • 25 Replies
For a week I have been breast feeding more often but I dont have that much milk still so i have to give my baby formula too. Pumping for some reason really hurts after a while so I cant do that very much. Im not dried up but not that much is comeing out. What else can I do?? I feel brokenhearted. I want to feed my baby so bad!!

Some of you asked me the same questions so here are some answers.
She was low weight when I took her to the doc and the doc said the same thing. She is 2 monthes. She would do this thing where she would suck for a long time like 1 hour or more but I was dry after like 10 minutes on each breast and she would still ask for more.I know because I wear a nipple shield and no milk was coming out of it ans so I would give her formula and she would be satisfied. I dont know how many poopy diapers/wet diapers she had on just my milk.
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cemcnair
by Courtney on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:28 AM
Why do you think you aren't producing enough and need to supplement?
How old is baby?
How many wet/poopy diapers per day?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsHMS
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:31 AM

Eat oatmeal and  oatmeal cookies.

soulofsunmama
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:34 AM
This.
A pump is never an indicator

Quoting cemcnair:

How old is baby?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hanab818
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:34 AM

this. i never was able to pump much but i was producing a butload.

Quoting cemcnair:

How old is baby?

Nicki1995
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:45 AM

My mom started suddenly drying up when all of us were 3 months. She doesnt know why it happened, but it happened to all 3 of us. She had to put us on formula too. I was unable to breastfeed, so i had to put my daughter on formula too. As long as the baby is healthy, it really isnt that big of a deal. I can see that breastfeeding really means a lot to you (it did to me too), but sometimes it just doesnt work out. If you are really stressed, that can prevent some milk from coming out.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
How are you judging supply other then the pump?

Is baby having 6+ diapers a day? Before formula?

Pump output is NEVER an accurate way to judge supply! Normal output is HALF an ounce to TWO ounces for BOTH breasts combined.

I'm assuming your baby is a couple months? By 6 weeks your supply regulates. Your breasts won't be engorged and may feel empty even though they aren't. It also makes it harder to pump. Many women can nurse but don't get a drop pumping.

Breasts are like faucets not jugs. They are never "empty".

My advice no more formula. No more unnecessary pumping. Drink at least 1 gallon of water a day. Remember to eat! Eat steel cut or old fashion oats for breakfast. Set out 6 diapers in the morning and if in 24 hours they are gone supply is PERFECT!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kelseyciarah
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Just because you can't express large amounts of breast milk does not mean you are not making enough.

If baby is having at least 6 wet diapers a day on breastmilk alone, then your milk production is fine.

Pumping and hand expression will NEVER give you an idea of how your milk supply is doing.

I say quit the formula, formula will sabotage you at any given point during your breasyfeeding journey.

Just NURSE,NURSE,NURSE! :)

rosekit
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Pumping is not an indicator over undersupply. As long as baby has 6 wet diapers a day, you're fine. The worst thing you can do is give formula, that will lead to you producing less, because baby nurses less. 

piwife
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Op please answer the questions so we can guide you better
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyTiny
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I pump too, my twins are now 3 weeks old and eat 3-4 oz every 2-4 hours and I pump every 2 hours during the day for 15-20 min each side and produce 8-10 oz, How much you produce depends on multiple factors, like your pump, how much you eat/drink and your body in general. I've noticed I produce more when I eat oatmeal and drink as much water as I can. Good luck, if you have any questions feel free to ask me :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)