Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

I want to have a baby but I also want to go to school.. Please help!

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM
  • 17 Replies

So my partner and I decided to have a baby. We have decided to do an IVF and we are extremely excited. He is 30 and I am 29. He is very supportive of my needs and is worried about me having a baby and having problems with me wanting to go back to school and concieving. My question is am I going over my head with this or am I just freaking myself out.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I was pregnant during my second year of graduate school, I took my final class and comprehensive exam when dd was 6 months old. It sucked, but it wasn't that bad because I wasn't working much outside of school. There's always a way to make it work, but there is really no way to know beforehand how difficult it would be kwim? If you have a relatively trouble free pregnancy like mine, it could be done. But if you have a ton of morning sickness, or other complications, you may have to make the choice as to what's more important (I postponed my final class because I didn't want to worry about finals and going into labor at the same time). Good luck, I hope it all works out.

rosekit
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I got a bachelors degree while raising my daughter, who I had at 15, and I was a single mom for most of my degree. But, I did not plan to have her, and school took time away from her. I would wait, in your situation, finish school, then, when you are done and can devote all your time to your child, have one. 

mama2my2boys
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:58 AM
are you having problems geting pregnant? why ivf?....my first took me 3years...my second took me 1 1-2 and my 3rd was a huge suprise (i was on the pill)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsShipley21
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

It's hard. When you have a baby no one will raise them the way you do or no one will love them the way you do. If you can detach yourself from you baby find a nice decent baby sitter and reliable! So you can juggle school, baby, and husband then I mean do you. But once you have this baby your whole life revolves around them. It is no longer about you.

educatingmomma
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank God, I have a great support systems because then it would be hard for me. I believe if you want to do something you have to do it. We have decided this a long time ago. We was going to adopt at first but then decided to have a baby while I can still have one. I know it MAY be hard to excel in schools. Where I live there is alot of daycares and my fiance is very helpful and has always been. So I doubt I will have a extremely rough time. Since we are surrounded by family.group hug

20Keller12
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:48 AM
If you have the financial means then just relax and enjoy it. :) I'm almost 19 my SO is 22. We're both in school and TTC.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BostonMomma08
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I got pregnant in high school. I had my son when I was 16 during the summer between my sophomore and junior years. I had a lot of complications during my pregnancy but they were mostly from 23 weeks on, and I had my son at 29 weeks, so they pretty much started right around the time I got it of school... Going back to school in September when I had a month old baby in the nicu was really hard but my school was amazing and really worked with me so I could stay in school and be there for my son...

I'm now almost 21 and my son is 4 1/2. I completed my first 2 years of college at Tufts university, then moved to Florida. I took a CNA course last semester and now I'm a licensed CNA and I'm going back to school in August to finish my BS in nursing.

I've been a single mom since the day I found out I was pregnant...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
educatingmomma
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM
That was mainly the issue! He works and I will be in school and I sew to make extra money.

Quoting 20Keller12:

If you have the financial means then just relax and enjoy it. :) I'm almost 19 my SO is 22. We're both in school and TTC.

Im-HiDdEn
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:14 PM

There are many women out there that go to school and raise children.  You can do both if your determined enough and also your time will be completly taken up and it will be a lot more stressful but if you and your DH/SO believe you can do it then you can!

20Keller12
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:00 PM
I'm on Medicaid so I don't have any insurance problems. The SO has a good job and because I graduated high school out of foster care I get a lot of benefits.

Quoting educatingmomma:

That was mainly the issue! He works and I will be in school and I sew to make extra money.

Quoting 20Keller12:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)