Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

should she choose or should we choose for her?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM
  • 7 Replies

So I was a lacto-ovo-vegetarian before I was pregnant with DD, but with how badly animic I was, my doctor told me to start eating at least chicken/turkey.  But after I had my DD, I went back to being vegetarian.  My DD had now 11 months old, and I don't know if it would be a good idea or not to not give her meats.  She has had some meat already, and Dh thinks we should keep giving it to her until she is older and let her pick if she wants to be like Mommy or Daddy (he eats meat).  I kind of agree, but I don't want to give her red meats.  Is that a bad idea?  Should I just give her meat or none at all?  

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
toybar02
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM
i would give her lean meats and just wait and see what her choice is, you dont have to give her red meats if you dont feel comfortable but some sort of protein wont hurt as long as its healthy
LucyHarper
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Yes, you should give her meat. Being a vegetarian is your choice, it may not be hers. Its a moral life style choice that I think should be left up to the individual. Children need different diets than adults do, they need a lot of proteins for brain development in those first couple crucial years that are very hard to get without meats. Its possible, but its risky and would take a lot of careful planning and you would need a dietary consultant with you every step of the way to make sure shes getting what she needs.

cemcnair
by Courtney on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM
I'm a vegetarian (almost vegan at this point), but dh and ds both eat meat a few times a week.
If dh was also vegetarian, I would not cook meat just for ds, but since dh eats meat, ds can have some of his.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM
There are plenty of healthy vegetarian options for children. No human needs animal meat.
It is not risky.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Yes, you should give her meat. Being a vegetarian is your choice, it may not be hers. Its a moral life style choice that I think should be left up to the individual. Children need different diets than adults do, they need a lot of proteins for brain development in those first couple crucial years that are very hard to get without meats. Its possible, but its risky and would take a lot of careful planning and you would need a dietary consultant with you every step of the way to make sure shes getting what she needs.

AubreeGrace17
by Aubree on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Let her decide for herself.

20Keller12
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Feed her meat until she's old enough to know what keeping meat out of her diet means for her. I agree with you on the red meat though. Eesh.
shannzuno
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:57 PM
I grew up vegetarian and loved it. I was super healthy as a kid. I got forced to eat meat and got chunky and sick more. there are ways to get protien without meat. You can always give her a hardboiled egg a day and that be the most "meat" you give her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)