Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Healthy Eating ... who else?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:36 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am generally a healthy eater, much healthier now that I've had a child than I was before.  Reason being: I want her to eat healthy!

I believe children eat what parents eat, children aren't going to eat vegetables if you're not doing the same, so I decided that I need to start eating even healthier than before.

So...who else is going to be feeding their children raw fruits/veggies & foods high in protein/fiber & other very healthy things instead of junk/processed foods?

I know peeople who say they feed their children healthy cause their snacks are animal crackers and apple sauce, but I don't consider that "healthy"

Also, my aunt and uncle have a 3 going on 4 yr old girl who barely breaks 30lbs and all she eats is junk food, potato chips, cheese sticks, beef sticks, cheez wiz, cheese puffs, apple juice (which if you've ever watched the news you know there so much arsenic in apple juice) and pringles...i have yet to see her eat something different, she literally refuses to eat anything besides those things, she will scream cry whine and throw a tantrum, while my aunts philosophy is "as long as shes eating she's fine!" I disagree BIG TIME, she will have major health problems when she grows older diabetes, being underweight which she already is, all her clothes fall off of her..even her doctors lecture my aunt on how she isn't feedign my cousin healthy and howshe isn't healthy. ...oh and she eats a lot of candy..and guess what? all those things my cousin eats my aunt eats too, hmmm I wonder why my cousin won't eat anything else? .  while my other aunt and uncle have a 2 yr old boy who outweighs my cousin I just mentioned and he's ALL muscle, he has no fat according to his doctors, he eats fruits, vegetables, meat, banana bread, and has practically no juice, when they give him juic it's half juice half water, and even then he doesn't ever ask for juice, he asks for water water water.. unlike my other cousins who never asks for anything besides apple juice... 

I'd rather have her eating healthy NOW than deal with it later in life. who else is with me?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
eds6619
by Emily on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I"m with you.

cemcnair
by Courtney on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM
We eat pretty healthy most of the time. I think there has to be balance though. If a child is never allowed a treat, they may "go crazy" with over eating once not in the parents control. Teach them healthy basics, but don't ban "bad" food, just show them limits.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ProudMommaBear
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:26 PM

oh yeah i forgot to mention the dessert part...that's what i was forgetting! My aunt and uncles rule is tht my cousin gets dessert or a treat of his choice after a meal if he eats his food, and i think id go by tht rule and weekends we can go for the junk food if we so choose too, that's how i live right now. i think its a good rule of thumb. what do you think?

Quoting cemcnair:

We eat pretty healthy most of the time. I think there has to be balance though. If a child is never allowed a treat, they may "go crazy" with over eating once not in the parents control. Teach them healthy basics, but don't ban "bad" food, just show them limits.

Mommy2CXh
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this
We eat pretty healthy here I do have a weakness for cookies cakes and sweets in general but not highly processed ones . I do however ban processed foods and anything with artificial colors and flavors. We eat plenty of vegetable and limit meats (No red meat or pork).
C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I'm the same. My son loves vegetables and fruit, he'd rather eat that than anything else. Even if we are at a party where there is junk food, my son refuses cookies or anything like that and will pick out vegetables instead. I love that he is so into healthy food

mz23
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:53 PM
I am slowly transitioning to a raw vegan diet. Ok I'm like that 70% of the time but ill eat like a stir fry with like rice noodles or something like that every know and again or like oatmeal . So I probably will try and be fully vegan, but focus on eating mostly raw if that makes sense..I'm Bf so I'm always hungry ill raise my dd vegetarian or vegan.
JoanB1117
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Im the same way! My son gets no juice ever, only milk and water because I don't think he needs it. Its just getting him addicted to sugar at a young age. He loves all kinds of raw veggies and fruit. One of his favorite snacks is grapes. I love giving my little boy healthy foods!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)