Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Breastfeeding

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:41 AM
  • 21 Replies
My daughter is 10 months old and I am planning to stop breastfeeding her when she turns one and it's making me feel really sad. I don't know why, it's just like the thought of not having her snuggle up against me and to have that few minutes of bonding time makes me feel sad and guilty :( It Almost brings me to tears just thinking about stopping. And I know the longer I continue the harder it will be for me so I just want to get it over with.
Have any of you ladies felt this way when you stopped nursing? And do you have any advice on how to make the transition easier?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jslee-8705-
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:03 AM
2 moms liked this
I know how you feel! My daughter is 18 months and is still breastfeeding. Only once a day just before her bedtime. And only for about 10-15 minutes. Which if nice because we still have that special bonding time. I decided to let her wean herself and so far so good. Slowly her time on the boob got shorter and shorter then she started dropping feedings all together. I think letting her do the weaning has been easier on us both. No sore boobs for me! Good luck :)
xredstarsx
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes I did with my daughter. And only stopped because I had supply issues. My ds will self wean. Honestly I would trust your instincts. Nothing about her makes her not need breast milk just because of a birthday. Humans are meant to nurse longer. You both aren't ready in my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:07 AM
Well you don't have to stop... it is reccomended to nurse for 2 yrs :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannzuno
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I just fully weaned my son a month in a half ago. He was 18-19months and it was down to just putting him to sleep at night. We ended it in 3 days... well more like a week because the 3rd night he started getting molars in and was screaming at 4am. So i gave in. Once that stopped i would just give him his milk whenever he asked for nana. Theb cuddle with him to sleep. He wasnt fully happy about it but it wasnt a hard thing. I had no leaking in the days after nor any swelling. In about 2 weeks when i did a express check, no milk came :) A few weeks ago it was cute he poked my boob and said "NANA" then really quick and cute "noooo" while looking from me to his dad. It cracked us up.
cemcnair
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I haven't stopped. Ds is 2 1/2. I felt like at one, he was still a baby.
Then I was going to nurse until he was two like the WHO recommends.
Then when we got to two, he was only nursing before bed, so I thought why not just let him have that? He doesn't have to nurse before bed if I'm out of town or something, but it's bonding for us. Just like reading a story before bed, part of the routine.
He's been nursing less before bed, and I'm sure he'll stop that soon, but I won't feel bad about that bc it's been so gradual.
I'm so glad we decided to let him do this at his pace.
My #2 is due in March, so I'll start this wonderful experience over again! (And still nurse ds before bed if he wants).

I guess I'm saying that if it feels wrong to you, you have another option :)
cemcnair
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Nursing a toddler is much different that nursing a baby.
ShaniCravin
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you all! I'll probably continue until we're both ready to stop :)
MrsJoe125
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

You don't have to b/f to snuggle. :-)

And you don't have to feel guilty about weaning either.

I stopped nursing my first @ 8.5 mos b/c I got preggers with #2.  I nursed #4 for 15 mos; it took a night in the hospital and about two months of pretty much not sleeping to get him to quit trying to dive down my shirt all night. whew!  But that was the most difficult experience I had with weaning, the first three were MUCH easier.

If you believe that weaning is the right thing to do, but you want that time; just change how you spend that time together, that's all.  Reading, watching a special tv program, put your lo in a sling or front pack and go for a walk instead.  :-)    (((hugs)))

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:11 PM
2 moms liked this

I let my children self-wean.

ShaniCravin
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Aww that's too cute!! Haha that made me laugh :) But yes I think I'll wait a little longer before I stop. Thank you!

Quoting shannzuno:

I just fully weaned my son a month in a half ago. He was 18-19months and it was down to just putting him to sleep at night. We ended it in 3 days... well more like a week because the 3rd night he started getting molars in and was screaming at 4am. So i gave in. Once that stopped i would just give him his milk whenever he asked for nana. Theb cuddle with him to sleep. He wasnt fully happy about it but it wasnt a hard thing. I had no leaking in the days after nor any swelling. In about 2 weeks when i did a express check, no milk came :) A few weeks ago it was cute he poked my boob and said "NANA" then really quick and cute "noooo" while looking from me to his dad. It cracked us up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN