Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

How to explain racial diversity to my 2 year old?

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM
  • 7 Replies

So in this picture is my 2 year old twins, and almost 4 year old -birth- niece. My daughter asked me "Mommy? Why is she that color?" i didnt know what to say... And i realized that Aubrey and Bryce are only ever around white people. So her curiosity is understandable... But it was just awkward. What would you say?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
cemcnair
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:53 PM
At that age, stick with the "people come in many different colors and we are all special". Just like "aunt x has blue eyes and you have brown" or something. Not too many details yet.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ittyprincess604
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM

well my DS is 4, im white and so is he. My husband and step son who live with us are colored. And so the new baby on the way will be darker as well. A few weeks ago was the first time he mentioned it when he asked if the baby would be black like Kevin (my husband, not his father). Ive never heard him say anything about it before, so I asked him what he knew about the differnce....he told me kevin spends too much time in the sun lolol 

anyway, I just told told him that some people are born different colors and that it doesnt mean anything is wrong with them, that its perfectly normal and they are just the same as me or him. He answered "well buy him sunblock"

So i cant fully get the point across to him. My advice is just say everyone is different.

Harley_B
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:15 AM

A great option to ease kids into the subject of multi racial talks is by introducing forms of literature that support it! Make sure the literature is appropriate of course, meaning showing the positives of the people and getting away from negative sterotypes of people. A good book I have is called "Cinnamon Baby". I can't remeber who the author is, but it's a great piece that shows how multi racial families come together and form new families. It's a great book and it's appropriate for that age group!! Good luck!

ProudMommy51006
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:23 AM
When my dd was little, I just told her everyone is different. She has blonde hair and I have brown. I have green eyes and she has blue. Her friend is black and she is white. Apples can be red, green yellow. Just make it no big deal and there wont be any issues. She isn't causing and issue, just being observant.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sierraemilie
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM

God hasmade all different types of people. I'm sure you've noticed that people come in all different shapes and colors. But being different is really from everyone is really neat! If everyone were the same and looked the same that would be sooo boring! 

1.hot.mama2005
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM

This.

Quoting cemcnair:

At that age, stick with the "people come in many different colors and we are all special". Just like "aunt x has blue eyes and you have brown" or something. Not too many details yet.

AubreeG16
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Lol!!! I told her that God(we are Christians) makes everybody different. And Domiana(the niece) pointed put that she(Aubrey) was white, I am yellow, and Uncle Anthony(my SO) is red, cuz he was mad at Aubrey. Lololol!!

Quoting ittyprincess604:

well my DS is 4, im white and so is he. My husband and step son who live with us are colored. And so the new baby on the way will be darker as well. A few weeks ago was the first time he mentioned it when he asked if the baby would be black like Kevin (my husband, not his father). Ive never heard him say anything about it before, so I asked him what he knew about the differnce....he told me kevin spends too much time in the sun lolol 

anyway, I just told told him that some people are born different colors and that it doesnt mean anything is wrong with them, that its perfectly normal and they are just the same as me or him. He answered "well buy him sunblock"

So i cant fully get the point across to him. My advice is just say everyone is different.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)