Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

My fear as an expectant 17 year old...

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM
  • 37 Replies

Poll

Question: Did you breastfeed?

Options:

Yes, and it was amazing, beautiful, and natural for me.

Yes, but it was a painful, emotionally negative experience.

Yes, but only because it was convenient.

No, but I absolutely wanted to.

No, because I was never interested.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 67

View Results

...is not being able to breastfeed.
I know, weird right? I'm young so I should be worried about money, my relationship, my education, etc. But luckily those aren't issues for me right now, so my mind can't help but go to a dark place where I obsess over all the "mommy-shaming" I read on the internet. There's stigma for epidurals, formula, crying-it-out, using strollers instead of slings, and more.
I feel like most first-time moms are already scared enough about being inadequate and it's so sad to me that there is so much shaming instead of support. But as it is, my number one fear is struggling with nursing.
I'd love to hear any stories anyone has. Whether you make me feel better or just not alone! 
If the poll doesn't have your answer, please comment :)

- Belle 

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoahsMommy10412
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I really wanted to breastfeed my son. I heard a story from my boyfriend of how his best friends daughter almost died because the mom didn't breastfeed and the baby got really sick.

I tried to breastfeed my son for the first week. He would get pissed each time he got on the nipple. I even had a nipple shield but it didn't work. I was told by doctors that I have flat nipples. I even tried pumping but wasn't getting more than an ounce so I quit. After that week I gave him formula. At least he got the good stuff for a week. 

Also he has yet to get sick and he's almost 5 months old.

proudmama11212
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM
2 moms liked this
Okay im going to be honest with you! The first 2 weeks was the hardest for me especially with dealing with the milk coming in and my boobs getting 3 times their size and my letdown going too fast for my poor son! I was about to give up! But i kept at it and im 4 months going strong! It helps out if you have a big support system cause at the beginning i didnt and it sucked! But now i got a good support system thank god now since people seen my determination about breastfeeding and they want to support! Take it a day at a time hunny it will get easier with time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DavidsMommy6.12
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:57 AM

For me it was easy,almost second nature.I had the same fear but in all reality your chances of not being able to breastfeed are like 1%.Breastfeeding is amazing for me.My son is 8.5 months and i love nursing him because its our  cuddle time:)

Good Luck!:)

Faith96
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:08 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm 17 and a proud mama to a 2 month old girl. Let me tell you this, they did NOT prepare me for what was to come in the hospital. Sure, they helped with latching and the correct holding positions. But once my milk came in and my boobs turned to rock-hard basket balls, I was helpless. I remember that first night home, I was without a pump and my boobs were so hard that my daughter couldn't latch on, it was awful. I ended up squeezing them into a bottle and feeding her expressed milk til I got an electric pump the next morning. The pain was so bad I couldn't sleep or even snuggle with my new baby. The engorgement was so extreme. It's very unlikely that you'll have it as bad as I did though. But don't give up! Because within the first two weeks the discomfort WILL stop and nursing will just become second nature. I highly reccomend getting a good pump. I take Lucy, my daughter, everywhere with me and I don't like nursing in public. It's always nice to have a bottle of expressed milk to take with us. Breastfeeding is awesome for your baby AND you, the positives greatly outweigh the negatives.

Good Luck:) 

Faith96
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:11 AM

And whether or not you decide to breastfeed, you'll have engorgment for a little bit. That, for me, was the only sucky thing about breastfeeding I've experienced so far. And your boobs get basically wrecked from the PREGNANCY, not the breastfeeding.

Pucca93
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Don't be I had my baby eight months ago and believe I tried to breastfeed but I didn't develop a lot of milk. So when I ran out I had to give my babu formula, my mother in law was always mad and kept telling to put her on my nipple so I could develop more. Believe me I tried but then she started getting used to the bottle and wouldn't suck my nipple no more. So I decided to formula feed her an I was heavily critized by my mil and she would say things like: "I breastfeed all my kids." (she had four sons) "Your baby is going to get sick very often" or even "put her on your nipple; stop being lazy." Man I hated it but now her criticizing has seized about time. And no my baby barely gets sick so ha! And she's at a healthy weight, she's growing up like any other baby and is a very active and smart little girl :). Don't let anyone tell you off, just say you're doing what's best for you and your baby. You're the mother and no one else has the right to tell you what you should and shouldn't do. I'm still being criticized for other things especially since I become a mom at 19. Just do what's best for you and your little one; and of they offer advice just say "thank you" or "really I didn't know that"
I also got the epidural and I was highly criticized by everybody! But my doctor ficked me up and keep giving me a lot of Picotin or Pitocin I forgot what it's called , I was in pain for 19 hours an my contractions came at every minute and I was only 5 cm apart, but then for the last five hours I felt so much better abd relieved :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emilyelephant
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:37 AM

I was dead set on breastfeeding.  I gave up very quickly.  By the last day in the hospital, she was having trouble latching.  She didn't eat for 8 hours because she wouldn't latch when we got home, and I was freaking out.  I called the OB floor and asked what I should do, instead of going in.  They told me I should try to pump, so I did.  It was Friday when we went home, so my LC couldn't help me until monday. I knew everything I was supposed to be doing, but it wasn't working.  I pumped for a month, and didn't try very hard to get her to latch.  Honestly, I was exhausted.  I'd torn in labor so could hardly even walk around, and pumping was easier than struggling and getting frustrated with the latch.  I didn't keep up with pumping either.  I pumped when my breasts were full and found out too late that it wasn't enough.  I was able to feed her breastmilk for a month.  I just wasn't prepared for how hard it was going to be, even reading SO many books and posts on here. I struggled with feeling like a bad mother, for quite a while, but I am FAR from a bad mother, and anyone who thinks otherwise can't have spent more than 10 seconds with me.

She is 5 months old now and hasn't been sick yet, even though her dad and I have both had some pretty nasty colds.  I'm thankful that she could at least get that immunity boost from me, but I don't think breastfeeding is for me.  Next time, I plan to exclusively pump, and hope to do so the right way to establish a good supply and keep it up.

There is never just ONE right thing for everyone, do what is best for you.  Your baby isn't going to be a genius or immune to all sickness just because you breastfeed, just as your baby won't get sick every other day or take remedial classes just because you formula feed.

Good luck :)

TaygansMommy
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:55 AM

I breastfed for a month and it was amazing. I had to stop because my milk supply wasn't keeping up with her. I would tell anyone to at least try it. If you don't like it you can always go to formula. It is awesome bonding time and gives you an amazing feeling. (It did to me anyway) She has been on formula for two months and I still miss that bond and wish I could go back.

newmom3917
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Breastfeeding started out great for us, the first day when we were in the hospital he latched great and it didn't hurt whatsoever.. then from the 3rd day when my milk came in until about a week and a half into it, it was hell.. my boobs were hard and hurt, my nipples were SO sore, I almost gave up.. everytime he latched my nipples stung.. my dr compared nursing to chapped lips, it's from the baby's saliva I guess. I learned to love warm washclothes, cold nipple soothies, and lanolin. My baby is now almost 3 weeks, and it is going alot better. Once in a while I'll get sore nipples, but that's because my baby is stubborn and when he gets tired, he tries to stretch when he's still attached and ends up pulling on my nipple :-( I'm trying to get him out of this habit!
KawaiiLila
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:39 AM
I breastfed for the first three months but I got cracked and bled and ended up getting mastitis twice in a very short period of time. No one could tell me why bf wasn't working out for me and I felt terrible. They only made comments that she had a small mouth and I had tiny nipples. (Way to make me feel totally self conscious in an area I felt adequate in before hand) I eneded up having to stop anyway because my dd had gas issues and needed enfamil gentlese.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN