Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Rice cereal for infants.

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 32 Replies

How old was your child when you first started feeding them rice cereal? Did you start off w/ a spoon or a bottle? How old did they start using a spoon? Any special ways to show them how to use a spoon? What brand did you use for your child?

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lashay18
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM
I'm feeding my four month cereal in the bottle but just a little and then when she get six month I'm going to do the spoon
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emilyelephant
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:29 AM

We tried rice in her bottle after SO's mom kept bugging us about it saying it would help her sleep longer. Wrong. All it did was make her painfully gassy so she'd just cry for an hour or 2 before gong to sleep (which is not normal for her).  Cereal in a bottle is used for acid reflux, and even then isn't really a good idea.
We skipped cereal/oatmeal when we started spoon feeding, and went straight to jar foods.  We started at four months because I was just too excited.  It's recommended that you wait until 6 months to feed them anything other than breastmilk/formula:
http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/delay-solids/
She's just over 5 months, so doesn't use the spoon by herself, but she's interested in it.

cemcnair
by Courtney on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Never-it has no nutritional value-we do baby led solids.
Do NOT ever put anything in your baby's bottle other than breastmilk or formula!!!
It is a choking hazard!
cemcnair
by Courtney on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM
That is a choking hazard. Please don't put anything extra in your baby's bottles!

Quoting Lashay18:

I'm feeding my four month cereal in the bottle but just a little and then when she get six month I'm going to do the spoon
cemcnair
by Courtney on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM
And yes, a minimum of six months old before any "solids"
eds6619
by Emily on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM

My oldest was almost 3 months and we used a spoon.  My 2nd we didn't start any solids til after 6 months...also used a spoon, but I skipped rice cereal and used baby oatmeal instead.

eds6619
by Emily on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I'm sorry, but someone gave you poor advice.

Quoting Lashay18:

eds6619
by Emily on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I wish people would understand this and get it through their heads.  Such poor advice to put cereal in the bottle.

Quoting cemcnair:

It is a choking hazard!

lydias_mommy12
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Spoon. Don't put it in the bottle. It's actually just empty calories and they don't really need it. I gave it to my dd a few times but she didn't like it so i stopped.
eds6619
by Emily on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Yes, its so old school to use it.  Nothing too it.  I gave it to my oldest b/c I really didn't do any research and just though it was "time."  I know better now.

Quoting lydias_mommy12:

Spoon. Don't put it in the bottle. It's actually just empty calories and they don't really need it. I gave it to my dd a few times but she didn't like it so i stopped.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)