Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Physical appearance after the baby is born=/

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM
  • 21 Replies

I'm 18 and i had my son in january.  I've always been self concious of my body and now i just want to pass out when i look in the mirror.  I was 192lbs when i was pregnant with William and now a month and 8 days later i'm 170. I feel like i should have lost a lot more by now. I'm just freaking out that i'll never get my body back. i've been thinking about it and willing to go on this crazy diet called the abc diet. Anybody done it before? I'm just wondering how you young moms have lost your weight and how soon you lost it.  And if you guys have any tips or anything that would be really nice! 

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HyrulianHeroine
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:44 AM
2 moms liked this

don't diet would be my advice. 

people diet don't stick to it, the just bounce form diets to diet. 

i breast fed my first so the weight left me easily and plus i am 19 and was already athletic build so i was all baby and no weight on me.

try working out instead, i highly recommend muscle toning, bodily tightening, while at the same time getting in some carbs. 

i work out as a religion with my DH and you may want to look into some at home programs for working out. i dont know how extreme you can take things but insanity and p90 are really good. 

i pole dance for fitness and teach zumba, make it fun and not stressful, eat as you normally will, but also control your intake of each categorized food group.

sorry i just don't like people and diets lol, i worked with my mother for a year to tighten her body back up just to help her avoid pills and B.S meals.

USMCwifey93
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:56 AM
I'm 20 and 6 months postpartum and still not back to my prebaby weight but then again I've struggled with my weight all my life.
Just eat healthy, stay active (as active as possible with a baby), and give yourself time...it took 9 months to get there, give it at least that long to repair and normalize.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emilyelephant
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I gained 60 lbs and have lost 40 of it.  My daughter is 5 months. I lost 20 lbs in the 2 weeks after birth, and then didn't lose anything else for at least another month, slowly lost the other 20, and now have plateaued again.  I lost the second 20 lbs because I was able to move around and be more active (after tearing in labor).

I was a size 0 before I got pregnant so really having any weight on my body is hard, but having her with me everyday is SO worth it, and I can see that my body is actually going to fit into my size 0s again, so it keeps me motivated.

You can't just diet, you need to exercise too or you'll just keep that belly flab (I still have it a little, and kind of always have, because I didn't exercise.

It's not realistic to expect your body to bounce back quickly. Some women do, but not the majority.  Like they say: 9 months on, 9 months off.

I've kept my mind on the positive aspects like: my hips didn't widen a lot, my stretch marks are pretty light, my belly flab doesn't hang over my pants anymore, my nipples aren't brown anymore, my nails stayed healthy and strong. (most of these things took around 3 months for me to be positive about, however) Or other things I can do to help myself fell more confident like: doing my makeup, getting a haircut, getting new glasses and contacts, dressing my kiddo super freaking cute, buying new clothes. All so I'm not so focused on my weight.

I bought Zumba for our Wii (which I've only done like 3 times) but it IS a really good work out, even if you only do it for 15-20 mins!

The diet you're talking about will not work, and will significantly lower your energy levels.  As a new mom, you need all the energy you can get.  You would lose weight, sure, but once you start eating normally again, you will put the weight back on in over half the time it took for it to come off, and you run the risk of developing an eating disorder once you realize you're gaining the weight back.  I am speaking from experience.

I'm pretty sure this reply is all over the place, but I'm tired and not in the mood to proofread after doing homework all afternoon. Good luck! :)

squeakers2
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:52 AM
Sweetie, you are less than 2 months out of the gate. Pregnancy changes your body and in some cases, you will never be the way you were before. Your body built a child. Skin got stretched, your hips widened, so on and so forth. It did an amazing thing and it takes time for it bounce back.

When I got pregnant with my daughter at 18, I was 140lbs and a size 5. When I gave birth at 19, I was 175. I ended up going up to 185 bc having her slowed my metabolism and I did not adjust my eating habits for it. I was finally trying to lose the weight when I got pregnant for my son at 21. I only gained 10lbs my whole pregnancy with him. He's 4 months old and I'm 22. I'm sitting at 175 again. Once it warms up (I live in SW PA. We are still getting freaking snow.), I plan to start walking with the kids and doing things to be more active. I eat decently, but not perfect. I know I will probably not be able to get back down to 140 bc with the ways my body has changed, I would probably look sickly. I am 100% positive I will never fit back in my size 5s bc my hips are entirely too wide.

Don't diet, especially if you are breastfeeding. It can cause your supply to drop. Instead eat healthy, balanced meals. Exercise. If its warm enough for him to be outside, put him in a carrier or a stroller and go for walks. There are some gyms that have daycare services in the facility. If you don't have one like that near you, see if someone could watch him while you go work out. Don't judge whether you are successful or not by weight loss, but by fat loss. Muscle weighs more than fat. Work on toning. Don't be over critical. Your body did an amazing thing. Give it a little slack.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
remaining_me
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:09 AM

have you tried normal forms of weight loss already? i dont understand going to extremes if you havent attempted healthy eating and exercise first.

that's how i lost the weight. i'm not at goal weight yet, but i've been slacking, so its my own fault. i understand how you feel, but it comes with the territory.

BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:08 AM
Give yourself time I know it's the last thing you wanna hear but its true.

I had my daughter last April. 10 months later I'm almost at my pre baby weight but no where near where i was before my oldest.
But that's ok I know I will get there.
it is more important to take care of your body and your baby after giving birth your body will fall into place stay active go for walks with your child and be mindful f what you are eating. W that the rest will fall into place.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
greenhazel96
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:18 AM
If you breast fedd you sill keep shedding that weight, eat healthy and work out every other day
ginabeana92
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:52 AM

You've lost 22 lbs in 2  months, I don't know how you think you should have lost more weight. Just keep doing what you're doing because obviously its working!

CorpCityGrl
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:56 AM

You are less than 2 months post-baby.  It takes time to get back into shape. 

What is your goal weight?

I wouldn't do any radical dieting.  They have a tendency to back-fire and you end up gaining the weight back.  For me, I simply started eating smarter and I started on Shakeology and working out. 

KristenandCaleb
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Diets aren't the way to go. Eat healthy, balanced meals and exercise. That is all you have to do. If you're breastfeeding make sure to eat bigger meals. Breastfeeding helps you lose weight. When you're on a diet, you restrict yourself which makes you more likely to binge on food, or give up. Don't restrict yourself of any food, just eat less. If you need any help or advice let me know!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN