Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scared About Birth, Advice?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM
  • 17 Replies

So it's starting to finally hit me that I only have about 4 more months of my pregnancy. This is my first child. To be honest, I'm TERRIFIED of the pain that I may possibly and will most likely be in. 

- Can you describe what happened when you first went into labor?

- What about the pain? (I plan on getting an epidural or some kind of pain relief)

- How long do I have to wait to see my child after I give birth?

- Have you ever tore, or needed to get stitches? From the ultrasound pictures, her head looks pretty big haha. What was that like?

- What was the most painful part of the whole childbirth process for you?

I really need all the help and advice and answers I can get.

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
svolkov
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Wait as long as possible to get an epi so u dont stall. Do not get induced....way way more painful. Walk a lot. U should have ur baby given to you right away. Insist he not get taken for at least a few hours to bond/breastfeed. Also nursing makes the uterus contract lessening and bleeding.
Worst was 6-10 centimeters. Pushing was such a relief imo.
I had three babies. Two natural no drugs one a walking epi. Trust your body ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AussieArcana
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I really needed to go to the toilet, that was about it.

The pain wasn't terrible. I had posterior labour (babys back on mine) which is generally pretty painful, but I had nothing to compare it to. I didn't get an epi or anything like that; didn't want to damage my back, I did get a bit of gas and air.

I saw my daughter straight after birth.

I had a 2nd degree tear, due to baby turning whilst she was crowning, it was a clean cut and didn't need stitches. The most painful part would have been the initial contractions, I was down town, tired and annoyed so it felt 10x worse then when I was more comfortable in the hospital.

Zamae
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:11 AM

same here . I am scared also .. almost 1 month to go and it"s my due!! Im really scared if I will have a C section or Normal delivery. Still crazy

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Momof697
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I have had some horrible labors so I will not scare you and post. My advice would be to relax.  I tore with my 1st. had stitches. My 2nd I tore but refused stitches and it went back together by itself. with number 3 I tore too and again no stitches. My third had a big head (15 cm) It was nothing I barely tore with her. it all depends on how wide you hips are and whether or not you can squat. squatting opens your pelvis so even a bigger head can fit through. I think it is like 30% it opens it up.     Walk as much as possible.  I was induced with all of them so I do not know if it was more pain or not. I had the first 2 at home (planned) the next three at a hospital due to hemmorhaging.  Keep baby with you as much as possible. I had baby in my room for my first 4. my last one was in the nursery so I could sleep.   trust your body. your body was made for this, keep walking even before labor (one of the best ways to prepare for it.)

mommakyia
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Well one thing I would definitely say is DON'T PANIC. Labor starts off slow and is noticeable. However, do try and wait as long as possible on getting an epidural, it can really slow the process down.  I did have a small tear and got stitches, but with the epidural you will barely feel them stitching you up. Also, I got my son right away. 

Ashtonsmommy21
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

The pain wasn't bad until about 6 cm I wish I had never gotten an epidural because it slowed everything down sooo much.  I had a bad experience with it so I'm going to go natural next time.  I got stitches but they didn't hurt and they healed quickly.  I got to hold my son right away. It's really not bad.  I'm one of those people that freaks out about pain like hours before it happens but then when the time comes I'm totally calm.  Just try to relax :) 

MrsJoe125
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:04 PM

- With my first pregnancy, I had gotten up to go pee and get a handful of cheerios (which was my 3am custom for my entire third trimester) and, while I was washing my hands, I felt a pop and a little gush; then the contractions started.  Later they said that my water had not broken, but I was definitely in labor.
They made me walk around and that was awful; the nurse had said "a couple of hours", so dh wouldn't take me back to L&D until it had been 2 hours. That was rough; when we got back, she said, "oh, you didn't have to actually walk for all of that time. <giggle>"  I didn't find it funny.

- I didn't get an epidural, but I got the IV pain meds.  They help take the edge off the pain, make it bareable; the epidural numbs you from the waist down and then (if I understand correctly) you have a hard time participating in the birth/delivery.

- I asked to see the baby right away and, with my third, the dr told the nurse to put him on my belly right after the cord was cut.  He was slimy and red and ugly, but he was soooo beautiful.

- I had second degree tears with all four of my full-term deliveries.  Ten stitches each time.  It wasn't a big deal, while the pediatric nurses are seeing to the baby, the midwife or ob stitches up the perinium (sp).  I didn't have the epidural, so they gave me a local; with an epidural, I imagine that wouldn't be necessary.

- The most painful part was the contractions right before the delivery; mostly I was told I couldn't have the IV pain meds because it was too close to time to deliver.

If you want to talk, feel free to msg me. :-)

Oh, BTW, a lamaze class (or some childbirth preparation class) would help you know what's coming.  Also, your dr will probably talk to you about what to expect and what you do and don't want to do.  If he/she doesn't, then you need to start that conversation when you're being seen weekly.  Meanwhile, do research so you can have a better idea of what's available and you can prepare yourself to have the best childbirth experience possible.

Oh, there are positions to help with the pain; I suggest a midwife, but...  that's just me.

MrsJoe125
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM

@ OP:  My labors were less than 12 hours and I pushed for less than 5 min on all four of them.

Quoting Ashtonsmommy21:

The pain wasn't bad until about 6 cm I wish I had never gotten an epidural because it slowed everything down sooo much.  I had a bad experience with it so I'm going to go natural next time.  I got stitches but they didn't hurt and they healed quickly.  I got to hold my son right away. It's really not bad.  I'm one of those people that freaks out about pain like hours before it happens but then when the time comes I'm totally calm.  Just try to relax :) 

capmonkey93
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM
i statred randomly bleeding and so i went in to get checked out and long story short they gave me pitocin (HATED IT!) BUT I really didnt want the epidural but i was having back labor (usually you dont have this unless your rly small looking, i looked like i was 6 months at 9!) but do not plan on having the medication for VERY many reasons they can tell you that your not allowed to have it so just be prepared for what you can do. you can decide weather you want to have your child right on you after he/she is born or cleaned off, i didnt have to have stitches but the most painful part was the back labor i had! when i had my epidural you could see her head on my spine. the most annoying part was the STUPID IV though. I HATED THAT THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dilara
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM
I have to somewhat laugh that people are say getting an epidural can slow things down. That's the only thig that helped me dilate! I was in labor for 10 hour and only pushed for 6 minutes! For 9.5 hours I couldn't dilate anymore than 3 centimeters because m contractions were too close that my muscles had no relax time to expand but 10 minutes after getting my epidural I went from 3 to 7 centimeters and my doc wa in 10 mins later and I started pushing I felt nothing to the point we were laughing at my husbands faces he wa mortified we about died laughing! Anyways I barely ripped at all and got no stitches and right after if you plan to breast feed you should ask them to lay the baby skin to skin it's very good for you and baby to bond
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)