Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Adding another - Help?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:48 AM
  • 7 Replies

So, my partner and I were blessed with the greatest baby girl we could ever have asked for in October. Both of us have at least one sibling, and we think it'd be good for the baby to grow up with a sibling, too. I'd like it to be sooner rather than later, because I didn't get along well with my sisters as a young child because our ages were too far apart - five from the first, 8 from the second. My partner got along well with his brother, and they're about 2 years apart. My partner is scared to add a second because we're still working on getting on our feet, but he does really want one and we both believe that if we work a bit harder we could make everything happen (lisences, car, a place to live on our own). We'll be 17 and 19 when the second is born, if we concieve when I'm hoping to which is within the next couple months. 

Do you think it's a good idea to have two close in age? Baby one will be about 1.5 to 2 years of age when baby two comes home.

Do you have two or more kids? What's it like, being young with more than one babe? Also, I've heard that you show faster the second time around - did you find that to be true? My in-laws will likely not like the news when they find out, so we want to be on our own when I start showing (we live with them right now). 

Thank-you for your help. We really do want to have a second baby for our first to grow up with and for the two of us to love, but we need a bit more information before we decide on when.

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Miss_Sheila
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:28 AM
hi im 22 and i had my first bby at 16 then i got pregnant 2 years later with my second theyre 2 years apart... then i got pregnant a 3rd time and him and my 2nd bby are also 2 yrs apart. and now im pregnant again and my bby will be 2 when this bby is born. so my kids are 1 3 & 5 soon to be 2 4 & 6
its alot of work. they arent that bad. sometimes they are but i can manage. im jus freaked that im pregnant again
not too happy about it. plus im very young i can already hear my mom which is y i havent told her nor my in laws. and my moms also pregnant shes due august im due november... how embarrassing ... ugh lol. but go for it good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KaroGreenly
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM
I think that you shouldn't plan a baby until you can afford it. No medicaid, no foodstamps, no WIC, no living with your parents. My girls are 17.5 months apart. But we could fully support ourselves when dd2 was conceived.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BlondeMommy18
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Hello! My name is Kaylie I am 18 as of today! I have 3 kids. They are 3, 2, and 8 months. I had my first daughter when I was 14 and 12 1/2 months later our son was born. They are super close in age. There is about 16 months in between my son and my second daughter. Its a ton of work but I love every second of it. My boyfriend and I live on our own and fully support outselves though. 

I think it is a descision you should make very carefully. Good luck! It's possible you just have to work really hard!:)

Alex4
by New Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Thank-you everyone who's responded so far :) The biggest reason we haven't moved out is because neither of us has our lisence yet. My partner will likely be getting his this or next month, but I still need to wait a bit longer before I can take the test. He has a job currently, I can work part-time, and we both have jobs lined up for the summer. We have plans to move out by next fall, with the hope of it happening earlier. There aren't many places to rent in the area that we'd need to live, and that has been making it tough. We help pay for grocieries and other things here, and we do work on the farm so it's kind of like a work-to-live rent situation. I get waiting until financially stable and everything like that before having another. We do have some savings that could support us, but we would prefer to keep them as savings for as long as possible.

Also, Miss-Sheila, congrats on the new baby. Sorry that you're not very happy about it. It must be tricky, having that many while so young. I was just under 18 when my first was born, and my partner was 16. It was really strange, becoming a parent at an early age. We didn't mean to have the first - we love her like crazy and we're glad we have her, but she wasn't planned. Did you plan out any of your kids? We didn't think we'd ever have any, but we feel like if we have one she shouldn't be lonely. I'm sure we will need to be working a lot to make ends meet, and I'd hate her to be sad or alone ever. When you have kids young you don't have the financials necessarily but you have more energy to put into raising them, and I think it's a good thing to have lots of energy. 

EmilyJ604
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:49 PM

My daughter is going to be 10 this yr and my son will be 5 they get along very well and my daughter was a big help with her brother...My brother and I are 4 yrs apart and we are extremely close

eds6619
by Emily on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM
We have 2 and they are 3 weeks shy of being 4 years apart and they get along great!!!
eds6619
by Emily on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:53 PM

If more people thought like you.........................things would be so much better.

Quoting KaroGreenly:

I think that you shouldn't plan a baby until you can afford it. No medicaid, no foodstamps, no WIC, no living with your parents. My girls are 17.5 months apart. But we could fully support ourselves when dd2 was conceived.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)