Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

QUESTION??????

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 13 Replies

I plan on breastfeeding my baby when he his born. I eventually want him to go to bottles. When do I start winging him off of breastfeeding and starting onto bottles? 

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cadditalbrat
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM
i'd say not long after he's born. Pump and give it to him in a bottle. My ds is 6 months old and I recently started a new job. So I would pump and leave him a couple bottles. But my DF says that he refuses to take the bottle at all. He hates it. Most kids prefer one or the other not both.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babygirl3796
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM

So would it be better off if I just started him on bottles when hes born? 

Quoting cadditalbrat:

i'd say not long after he's born. Pump and give it to him in a bottle. My ds is 6 months old and I recently started a new job. So I would pump and leave him a couple bottles. But my DF says that he refuses to take the bottle at all. He hates it. Most kids prefer one or the other not both.

NicholeJirik
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Every kid is different. My dd had no problem swiching. I breast fed her tell she was 7 months old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cadditalbrat
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:56 AM
it's really up to you. If you feel like he'll take the switch fine then start with nursing then give him bottles when you're ready too.

Quoting babygirl3796:

So would it be better off if I just started him on bottles when hes born? 

Quoting cadditalbrat:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
A.J.s_mommy
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:57 AM
I agree. Mine has no problem switching. She's almost 6 months and hasn't had any issues.

Quoting NicholeJirik:

Every kid is different. My dd had no problem swiching. I breast fed her tell she was 7 months old.
mommy21togirl
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM
my dd wont take a bottle I would try a bottle or two a day to get use to both nurse told me dont give a bottle till four weeks cause nipple confusion now she wont take one and shes four months old just started her on rice ceral
mom2astar
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM
My baby did not have trouble at all. But i am glad you decided to breastfeed your baby. Thumbs up
mom2astar
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM
My baby did not have trouble at all. But i am glad you decided to breastfeed your baby. Thumbs up
KylersMom8-16-7
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Why do you need him on bottles?

Pumping isn't easy for everyone, for some it's not possible because they don't respond to the pump.

You shouldn't introduce a bottle until 6-8 weeks so your supply is well established. Feed very strictly by the 1-1.25 oz per hour rule(meaning baby gets 1-1.25 oz per hour between feedings:1-1.25oz/hr, 2-2.5oz/2hrs, and 3-3.75oz/3hrs.) No more then 3.75 per bottle every 3 hours. This helps prevent bottle preference but its still possible and extremely damaging to successful breastfeeding relationship.

It's best to breastfeed at least 12-24 months, the longer you breastfeed the more benefits for you and baby.

When you wean you drop one feeding per WEEK until done. If you wean before a year you MUST replace feedings with formula or donor breastmilk. Cows milk before a year can be very bad for baby.

Please join the Breastfeeding Moms group. Kellymom.com is a great reliable resource for breastfeeding moms.

Quoting babygirl3796:

I plan on breastfeeding my baby when he his born. I eventually want him to go to bottles. When do I start winging him off of breastfeeding and starting onto bottles? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
B-FigNewton
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Within a month or so. Baby won't particularly like a bottle nipple over a booby nipple if you wait too long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)