Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

I accidentally hurt my nephew in anger...

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM
  • 18 Replies

So I was babysitting last night, and it was at my house. Well my 3 year old niece and 2 year old twins were in bed asleep, but Owen(15ish months) wouldnt go to bed. I was tired. He was tired, but refused to sleep. Well he kept crying and crying and crying so I set him on our front porch(before you freak over that, its a closed in/heated area which has toys and stuff. The kids play out there all the time. And the door was open, but the gate closed.) The livingroom is right off the porch and I am known to have meltdowns/panic attacks ect when this kind of thing happens. So I was responsible and set him down to cool off. After about 15 minutes it got quiet, and I looked out there to see he crawled in the corner and fallen asleep. So I went in, picked him up and went to take him up to bed. Well he woke up screaming. I was freaking out about now, so I turned back around and went to set him back on the porch... But when I went to put him down I kinda did it a little hard and nudged him forward, and he staggered back and hit his head pretty hard on the little slide.

I instantly picked him up and checked him over... I felt awful. He is okay... But I feel let my temper get the best of me, and what if I really woulda hurt him? I feel bad.. :'(

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Don't beat yourself up. Everyone has their limits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AubreeG16
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I jst felt really bad because he got hurt.. I didnt mean to put him down too hard..

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Don't beat yourself up. Everyone has their limits.

September2013
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Agreed with the comment above mine, sometimes we let our anger get the best of us in the heat of the moment. As long as he was ok, that's all that matters, no one is perfect.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jojo_star
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes our anger can get the better of us, but that isn't a good thing. Whenever I feel myself start to get overwhelmed, I leave. When my son was really little, I would leave him with my parents or sister for a few minutes, or put him in his play pen, just until I could calm down, because yes, everyone has a limit, and no one is perfect, but that isn't an excuse to hurt a child. 

cemcnair
by Courtney on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Try to take a breather if you feel yourself getting upset. Babies don't purposely try to make us angry.
A.J.s_mommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:14 PM
3 moms liked this
I would suggest not babysitting anymore since you are known to have meltdowns.
Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:20 PM
I completely agree with this.

Quoting A.J.s_mommy:

AubreeG16
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Its not really meltdowns per-say... But more of a panic attack. I am usually good, and patient, but I dont know. I have been stressed with schools, and stuff with my own kids lately, and then Owen cries incesently and wont go to sleep? I did the best I could though, and put him down and walked away. Came back once I was calm. I have anxiety issues, and having him being unconsolable just unnerved me.. Know what I mean? I told my sister and she assured me it was okay, and that she trusts me..

Quoting A.J.s_mommy:

AubreeG16
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:02 AM

See, I did leave. I set him in the gated room, and curled up in my chair and calme myself. I have anxiety and panic attacks when I cant physically control a situation. I really didnt mean to hurt him. I was just trying to put him back down, so I could walk away again. But he was fighting the fact that I was putting him down..

Quoting jojo_star:

Sometimes our anger can get the better of us, but that isn't a good thing. Whenever I feel myself start to get overwhelmed, I leave. When my son was really little, I would leave him with my parents or sister for a few minutes, or put him in his play pen, just until I could calm down, because yes, everyone has a limit, and no one is perfect, but that isn't an excuse to hurt a child. 

JCSmommy2
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:48 AM
I say to put him in a crib or pack and play thats enclosed with a toy next time... I thought at first you were going to say he went outside some how or got hurt on his own.. Its a lot more safer than a porch where he could fall or trip because hes tired. Put him somwhere safe that way if you know hes tired he can entertain himself a little and go to sleep.. He'll probably cry a little bit but eventually will fall asleep. Everyone makes mistakes you cant beat yourself up too much but to sure it doesn't happen again. 4 kids to watch is a little much even for the most patient of people.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)