Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When is the best time to start buying baby clothes?

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 3:20 PM
  • 11 Replies

Im still not sure if i will keep the baby, but if i do just wondering when I should start buying baby supplies. Id like to do it little at a time since I dont make to much money plus I just moved into a apartment by myself. Im 3 months.

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emilyelephant
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I started buying as soon as I found out, little things from Goodwill and facebook sale sites when good deals came up. I got a boppy and bumbo seat for $5 each, a carseat and stroller for $50, and started getting clothes once we found out the gender. Start when you make your decision, decide what you need most and just get necessities

tiffmommy143
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Thanks!

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Once you know the gender.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jojo_star
by Jo on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:22 PM

By keep, do you mean adopt or abort? And I'd suggest not buying anything until you are at least 20 weeks, just in case something does go wrong, and once you know the sex. 

AVSpecWife4
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Once I found out the gender, I started buying baby stuff. If you have a Once Upon a Child near you, they sell LOTS of gently used baby items and clothes at really reasonable prices. Plus, they have a punch card, and if you get so many stamps, you get 20% off, and they have lots of great stuff available. Plus, you can find cheap stuff on craigslist. Good luck!

missarahmt
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:39 PM
After the baby shower.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SabrinaLC
by Sabrina on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I always waited until I knew the gender.  Unless I saw something super cute that was gender neutral.

RetiredUSAFWife
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Yes, buy a few things at a time. Start buying when you're about three months along with the pregnancy. Most pregnancies will continue on from then. I'd buy onesies and receiving blankets first. Then a couple of sleep and play outfits for the newborn stage. Probably six of each, size is enough. I;m sure you;ll have other people buying gifts for the baby right?

As for the big items like baby beds, etc etc. I'd go with the crib, and compromise on the stuff that will only last a baby a few months. (For instance, I bathed my grandchildren in the sink, rather than buying a baby bath tub). Instead of a changing table just get a pad that you can use anywhere you happen to be. (Although a nice place to put the clothes for the baby is one thing you'll need) While newborn you can just put them in a basket, that is big enough for a few days at a time. I'd definately get a stroller/pram or whatever you'll use to transport your child back and forth with. And of course you will need a car seat. These things can be very expensive, so I'd suggest you go to yard sales or thrift stores to find gently used items. I realize, that if you're like me, you'll want all new, but I soon started accepting gifts of used clothing for my first born son. (It's amazing how fast they grow).Once they're old enough you'll probably be buying clothes once a year, but as babies, they grow out of them faster than the age. (For instance, six months old, isn't necessarily the age to wear six month age clothes). My kids were in twelve month sizes at that age. It doesn't mean they were exceptionally big, either. It depends on the brand name of the clothes.
Oh, and although you might like popular brand name clothes, I wouldn't go to crazy buying them for babies. I refuse to pay more than a certain amount for clothes. I would never spend thirty dollars on a pair of jeans for a baby for instance. You can go to sales and find good bargains too. For the newborn baby buy some newborn, three to six month, and six to nine month sizes. Before you know it they'll fit your baby.

nikkik526
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM
I waited till i found out what i was having and about how big he was (but they were off over a lb). I advise against buying a used car seat (like a pp said she did); you dont know how it was handled; a car seat is to protect your childs life so unless you trust a stranger with your childs life dont buy or use a used car seat! You can get one for under $50 that is safe and will protect your childs life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)