Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Need advice for first prenatal visit. help me.....

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 8 Replies

Im 17and super nervous. I have my first visit in 2 weeks. I will be 6w 5d and i have no clue what to expect.

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this
They'll probably just ask a couple of questions. They may do a pelvic to confirm how far along you are (unless they've already done an ultrasound). Ask how you're feeling and do a weight check...ask about your home life and advise you on what meds are safe to take during pregnancy... that kind of thing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
yayasdaughter
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM

For my first appt they just talked with me about my history and what to expect.

carsonborne02
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM

So will they do an ultrasound. I havent been to any doctor yet except the teen clinic when i found out i was pregnant. and also will i be able to hear the heartbeat.

spitfire.mommy
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM
This is how my first visit was. Everything will be ok! Just remember to ask questions if something doesn't make sense.

Quoting shadow_lark:

They'll probably just ask a couple of questions. They may do a pelvic to confirm how far along you are (unless they've already done an ultrasound). Ask how you're feeling and do a weight check...ask about your home life and advise you on what meds are safe to take during pregnancy... that kind of thing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
That depends. If you know the exact dates of your last period it won't be necessary, if not then they will probably do one. If you are at all unsure about your last period I would tell them and request an ultrasound, it can make a huge difference. With my second I wasn't sure, and it changed my edd by three weeks.
As for heart beat, maybe. In an advanced ultrasound they might be able to... but Idk if they have ones with sound. On a Doppler in the office they won't be able to hear it until around ten weeks.

Quoting carsonborne02:

So will they do an ultrasound. I havent been to any doctor yet except the teen clinic when i found out i was pregnant. and also will i be able to hear the heartbeat.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
carsonborne02
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Thanks so much. Has defintley helped and one last question. I am 127 pounds and 5' 8'' tall. How much weight should I gain and when will I start showing?

sp1357
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

First off they will talk with you. They will ask about your family medical history. Being that you are 17 don't be surprised if they ask you if you want to keep it or considered other options. Next they will get your height and weight and calculate an est due date from the info you give them about your last cycle. If the office is equipped with an ultra sound you will be given one. It will most likely be a vaginal ultrasound as you are very early. You will pretty much just see a sac and a heart beat cannot be heard. As for an approximate weight you should gain there isn't one. Yes you will find suggestions and guidelines giving an answer but everyone is different. Thats really the last thing to worry about. Oh and ppl show at different times. Given your weight and height you will probably show later on in the pregnancy, especially it being your first.

AmandaN1
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:35 AM

My first appointments are always family history and paperwork stuff. I don't get an u/s.  But I also know when my periods are.  So that may depend on your doc. A heartbeat is sometimes detectable at 6 weeks.  But only by ultrasound.  If you haven't had a pap before or in over a year then that may happen or be the next appointment.  
It will be ok! And my biggest advice, find a doctor you love, agree with, and feel comfortable with. It's important to have a good relationship with your caregiver.  

Quoting carsonborne02:

Im 17and super nervous. I have my first visit in 2 weeks. I will be 6w 5d and i have no clue what to expect.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN