Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Choking his sister?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:46 AM
  • 8 Replies
So my twins will be 3 in September, and the other day I noticed a new habit of Bryce's. I walk out to the play room and see him pinning his sister against the wall with his forearm shoved in her throat trying to take her toy. WTF!? Of course I rush over, and she was actually making choking noises, and I pulled him away and his father spanked his ass pretty hard and told him that it was wrong. Well whenever Aub gets on his nerves now, that is what he does. He will try to choke her. I honestly don't know where he learned it. But my family loves to wrestle and stuff, and my dad will choke us out, but not the little kids. Any advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
finnbar
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Yeah, well. It sounds like he learned about choking and over powering people from the adults in his life. Don't leave them alone together.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AmandaN1
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Don't let your dad do that anymore.  This behavior needs to stop and if he sees it as a joke with you guys, he will copy it.  And I would make a point of not letting him wrestle for a while. Even my older boys had to knock off the wrestling when they took it to anger and fighting for real.  Ask your dad not to do that in front of the kids and find new ways to play.  Other than spanking I would remove your son from whatever situation it is IMMEDIATELY. You set him in a spot for "time out" and then walk away (after saying you're here for choking your sister) and show lots of love to your daughter.  This way he sees negative behavior doesn't get attention but that she gets all the attention. They don't like that either.  

Hope this helps!

cjsmom1
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Don't play fight around him. Kids copy what they see and he probably doesn't understand why when your dad did it it's ok but he can't. When my ds was that age he hit my teenage cousin with a plastic bat because my cousin jokingly hit his friend with it. Except ds full forcehit him. At that age you just need to be careful what he sees.
SabrinaLC
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Sounds like he's learning from what he's seeing.

I'd definitely keep an eye on them when they are together and if you see that starting be sure to separate them.  Let him know that he's hurting her and that he can't be with her.

AubreeG16
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM
It just baffles me. I am not really sure if Bryce ever was around when we wrestle. My dad is ex-army, so he says we need to toughen up. Lol But NONE of the other little kids in my family do it out of anger. We all play wrestle, but I don't know.. it never happens in my house.

And spanking is a punishment in our house for "harmful situations". Not everything though. Time outs just aren't really effective with Bryce. He has too much of a temper.

Quoting AmandaN1:

Don't let your dad do that anymore.  This behavior needs to stop and if he sees it as a joke with you guys, he will copy it.  And I would make a point of not letting him wrestle for a while. Even my older boys had to knock off the wrestling when they took it to anger and fighting for real.  Ask your dad not to do that in front of the kids and find new ways to play.  Other than spanking I would remove your son from whatever situation it is IMMEDIATELY. You set him in a spot for "time out" and then walk away (after saying you're here for choking your sister) and show lots of love to your daughter.  This way he sees negative behavior doesn't get attention but that she gets all the attention. They don't like that either.  

Hope this helps!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM
He learned it from somewhere...
Don't leave them alone together.
eds6619
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM

yikes....i would be concerned with what he is watching on tv as well.

AubreeG16
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Well he is only 2 and a half, so he doesn't really watch Tv. The only shows they like are Disney junior shows like Doc McStuffins and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse

Quoting eds6619:

yikes....i would be concerned with what he is watching on tv as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN