Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

"stripping" your Cervix...

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:49 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am 36 weeks and 6 days along.. On Tuesday my doctor told me that I was 2 cm dilated and that my cervix was 75% thinned out. I expressed to her how eager I was to have my daughter, and she said that since I will be considered "full term" at 37 weeks, that at my next apt (this tuesday) she can do something called "strip" my cervix. Apparently this can causes you to go into labor.

Have any of you ladies had this done? Is it painful? Did it work?

what are your thoughts... should I get it done?

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rfhsure
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Its stripping the membranes around your amniotic sac and my or may not work. But I would highly encourage you to wait until 39 weeks before trying to start labor. Even though they're considered full term, a babys brain is a third the size it is at forty weeks, and their lungs are not full developed. Let her keep cooking, its better for both of you!
jojo_star
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:53 PM

That is a stupid thing to do. Due dates can be off by up to two weeks, so you could be 35, instead of 37. You have three weeks at least left, there is zero reason to rush your baby, baby will come when it is ready. Babies born even 2 weeks early have a 40% chance of respiratory problems. Your babies brain also has a lot of developing left to do, and the best place to do that is in utero. Doing anything to start labor such as stripping membranes (it's your amniotic sac, not your cervix, that will be stripped) is selfish and irresponsible as a parent and as a medical professional to suggest, as long as there is no medical reason to do it, and being 37 weeks is NOT a medical, valid reason to do it. I've not had it done, but I've seen it done many times, and it often ends in a c-section, a long, painful labor because the body isn't ready, and complications in the babies once they are born. 

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:49 AM
No way would I allow that. It's called an estimated due date for a reason. A baby born at 40 weeks won't necessarily be ready either. You need to think about babies health.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillokita
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:00 AM
I did it with my last but I waited until 40 weeks and it still didn't work. It did hurt mostly the doctor's hand/ knuckles just the pushing and placement of her hand was weird and sucked .. also I agree with these ladies it is best to wait 37wks is early and there is no need to do it. Btw my DD was born a week later (41wks) at 8.5 pounds.
daytonbaby210
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I never had it done and in all honesty since my cervix would not dialate no matter what it would not have been much of an option anyway. i agree with the other posters thirty seven weeks is to early. I was fourty weeks and two days and he was almost nine pounds but it is up to you.

Gabeys_Mommy
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:08 AM
I had it done around 38 weeks. It was painful, made me bleed and have cramps. I didn't feel good until I had my daughter at 39wks2days. I felt like it tried to push my body into something it wasn't ready for. I wouldnt do it again.
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Want to add my friend had it done then had prodromal labor for weeks after that. You can't force it if baby isn't ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babid14
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:43 AM
I think its too soon to have that done. My doctor did it to me at 39 weeks but now i will let it happen on its own. It did hurt and bled and cramps after. It didnt do anything for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmandaN1
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I know at the end everyone is so eager to have their baby, but I strongly urge you not to do this yet. And honestly a doctor that would do it when you're not due yet really bothers me.  

It should only work if the baby is ready, however why push the baby if they're not?
The last weeks the baby's brain does SO MUCH development. As well as their lungs and their sucking reflex. There is still a lot of growth to do.  At 40 weeks my daughter was 6lbs4oz, had she come 3 weeks early, it's possible she could have been very under weight.  There are still risks this close. Just enjoy these last few weeks as a pregnant mommy as much as you can.  And please research what happens when babies, even 37 weeks, are born early. 

ellseee94
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses!! None of my friends have had this done or even know what it is, I was just interested because the doctor suggested it. I don't think I'm going to do it- she'll come when she's ready! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)