Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Need help with our first flight

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:25 AM
  • 6 Replies
Hello everyone my husband and I are currently living in Hawai'i with our 11 month old dd and will be traveling to Texas for our dd first bday. Although I am excited I really don't know what to do and how it works when traveling with a baby let alone for the first time. I kind of talked to the doctor to get some help in case she gets an ear ache and he told me to give her something to suck on before and after arriving and to make sure to give her plenty of fluids before, on, and the day after our trip. My concerns are where do I change her on the plane? keep in mind it is a 9 hrs with a layover that really isn't a layover bc we have to change planes immediately and we are flying at night so that she could sleep and the airline messed up and sat my husband and I in the same roll but separate (LUCKY ME). Another concern I have is how I'm I going to deal with her sleep schedule? It is a 5 hr time difference from here to there, Texas is 5 hrs ahead of us. I wanna be prepared for this trip as much as possible, please let me know what I have to do or if anyone can give me some advise when flying with a baby.
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mattiehatter
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:30 AM
Not sure, but I think there was a changing station in the lavatory. Look up mamanaturalblog on YouTube. I believe she has a traveling tips video.
jeweldragons
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:34 AM
Are you flying separatley or in separate seats?  Pay to have yourself or your husband get a seat next to you.  That's what we do when we are flying somewhere because we always end up getting separate seats so my husband has to ask if he can sit next to me and usually the person is good about switching seats with my husband.  Good luck.  Maybe e-mail the airline you are on and ask if there's a changing station in the lavatory. 
Shygirl951
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:59 AM
Bump!
Heyxxmcfly
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM
If you're in the same row but separate seats, you could always ask the person in the seat next to you if they would mind switching so that everyone would be more comfortable.

As far as traveling tips, I'm not too sure. I've only ever taken my son on a drive from MO to FL when he was 3mos. It was 24 hours of uncomfortable, both ways. I'd say take snacks, and ask the flight attendants for water or juice. Unless she BF's then why not let her latch most of the time? I do wish you luck though. Traveling with a little one is hard.
december911
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Not sure about the diaper changing. As for the seating, I am sure either the airline attendents or a fellow passenger will swap seats so you and hubby can sit together. I have only done short flights, no more than 4 hours, but I always made sure DD had something to suck on. When she was younger, the boob lol after that, a paci or bottle. Never had any problems and to be honest, she fell asleep as we were taking off and landing so there were never any crying episodes

SabrinaLC
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I'm sorry, I've never been on a plane with any of my kids and never traveled far enough for time difference :-/

Good luck to you though, I'm sure things will be okay :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)