Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

so scared and need some support. (breastfeeding problem)

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 16 Replies
I was just nursing my 7month old, she was very hungry but kept fussing at the breast. I'm thinking okay maybe she's got some gas, I take her off to find that she's got a mouth FULL of BLOOD! Of course my first instinct is to find out where its coming from..... its not coming from her. All she was getting from my breast was blood. I'm so scared and have no idea what's going on this has never happened to me before and she is my 3rd child I've breastfed. I called a lactation consultant and she's never heard of this happening before and has to call her supervisor and will call me back..... I'm so scared I'm going to have to give up breast feeding and I'm just not ready. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyJenn11825
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM
BUMP. Anyone?
MidwestMama55
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Call your doctor immediately, to find out what's wrong with your breast. If you don't have breast milk stored you can bottle feed her, you may have to use formula until you find out what's wrong.  You need to be seen by a professional, today.

Ciaodarlings
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Yikes, I have no idea but good luck. Here's a bump for you.
MommyJenn11825
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM
I thought about calling but thought maybe I could wait until the lactation consultant called back. This is so scary :-(

Quoting MidwestMama55:

Call your doctor immediately, to find out what's wrong with your breast. If you don't have breast milk stored you can bottle feed her, you may have to use formula until you find out what's wrong.  You need to be seen by a professional, today.

MidwestMama55
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I am sorry this is happening to you. You must be terrified.  The lactation consultant may or may not know what is wrong with your breast.  It's not a feeding problem, it's a breast problem.  Call your OB/GYN and tell them it's urgent you speak to someone immediately.  I've heard of cracked bleeding nipples and all, but that doesn't sound like this was it if you were surprised blood was coming out.  Good luck.

Quoting MommyJenn11825:

I thought about calling but thought maybe I could wait until the lactation consultant called back. This is so scary :-(

Quoting MidwestMama55:

MommyJenn11825
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Yeah, its not cracked at all. A little dry from nursing but no cracking.
MommyJenn11825
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM
*update* the lactation consultant just called back and all of the supervisors are in a meeting and her "expert" advice was "I googled it, and its normal" WHAT THE HECK??? Time to call the dr.

Quoting MommyJenn11825:

I was just nursing my 7month old, she was very hungry but kept fussing at the breast. I'm thinking okay maybe she's got some gas, I take her off to find that she's got a mouth FULL of BLOOD! Of course my first instinct is to find out where its coming from..... its not coming from her. All she was getting from my breast was blood. I'm so scared and have no idea what's going on this has never happened to me before and she is my 3rd child I've breastfed. I called a lactation consultant and she's never heard of this happening before and has to call her supervisor and will call me back..... I'm so scared I'm going to have to give up breast feeding and I'm just not ready. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

No, that's NOT normal, despite what google told the LC.  Call your doctor, you may have an infection of some sort.

MommyJenn11825
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM
That exactly what I thought as well. And the fact that she actually used the term "I googled it" made me decide not to call her again.... I did speak with my doctor and she said its okay to continue nursing but it sounds like I have the start of an infection and they want me to come in this week

Quoting amonkeymom:

No, that's NOT normal, despite what google told the LC.  Call your doctor, you may have an infection of some sort.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Whew, I'm glad you called the doc and I agree that you shouldn't quit nursing, or at least pump on that side. 

Hopefully they'll get things back to normal for you very soon.

Quoting MommyJenn11825:

That exactly what I thought as well. And the fact that she actually used the term "I googled it" made me decide not to call her again.... I did speak with my doctor and she said its okay to continue nursing but it sounds like I have the start of an infection and they want me to come in this week

Quoting amonkeymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)