Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

Need Some Advice...I don't know whether to go natural or get an epidural...

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:27 AM
  • 19 Replies

Hey everyone,

I'm 18 and I'm due on July 24th. I really hate needles and am not sure as to have a natural birth or to have an epidural. Please help I don't know what to do. Also what should I pack for my Hospital bag.

Thank you everyone,

Jessica<3

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wolfybaby
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

i think it is silly to go into this with the mindset that you are too weak to deliver your baby naturally. you do not need to plan for heavy medication! you need to see it as an option in case things get far too unbearable for you to handle.

also, i want to add that an epidural is not your only option for pain relief. there is stadol and other more mild pain relievers that do not inhibit your ability to feel the urge to push [epidurals numb you, making actual laboring harder...and thats one of the reasons its so highly correlated to emergency c-sections, another thing to consider when thinking about epidurals].

try to do a natural birth. if it gets too be too much, ask for a small dose of a mild pain reliever. they work perfectly fine. safe the harsh epidural for emergencies.

wolfybaby
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM

as for what to pack in the hospital bag, try to keep it minimal! bring 2 outfits of different sizes [newborn and 0-3, for example] for your baby in case one doesnt fit. for you, bring a loose, comfortable shirt that will make breastfeeding easier on you. music, books, and other entertainment like a laptop will be good for when baby is napping. i cant remember needing anything else. except maybe a favorite snack or drink that the hospital wont have.

LoveMyBaby1913
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:23 AM
2 moms liked this

It's all your choice. I'll tell you my experience. I went in with an open mind thinking I'll know what i want to do when I'm in the situation. When i went into the hospital i told the nurses to give me an epidural right away (i to hate needles) they went to go get one and the nurse checked me and accidentally broke my water and said your 9cm we cannot give you the meds you have to do it naturally i cried of course and freaked out but i think it was all for the best. Without getting the epidural you realize how strong you are, and your baby comes out and is fully alert which is amazing for bonding. Once my baby was out she spent an hour just staring into my eyes and then fell to sleep, i know if the baby is drugged up from the epidural they are not as alert. So natural in my opinion is best but again it's up to you. I agree with the other mom to get the milder pain medications if neccessary. I won't lie to you though yes doing it naturally hurts but your labor is wayyyyyy faster. i got my baby out in 10 pushes :) and the second after the baby is out you don't remember any of the pain you just went through, it's pretty crazy!! I agree make sure u don't over pack i know i did lol i only used an outfit for me to go home in, an outfit for the baby to go home in, my tooth brush, a hair tie, a hair brush, my cell phone and charger and camera and charger. everything else was provided by the hospital such as diapers, wipes, pads for mama, the robe you wear, etc. ask your OB what labor and delivery has avaliabe so u know what things you need to bring for baby and yourslef, they will give u a checklist :) good luck on your delivery i hope all goes well :)

JessieLee95
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Thank you everyone(:

NoahsMommy10412
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Epidural is not that bad. I'm afraid of needles and still got epidural. It helps a lot and you don't feel the needle at all.

You should pack going home clothes for yourself and baby, carseat, phone, and camera.

A-nony-mous
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I think it's a decision that you need to make before you get to the hospital. 

Labor is obviously not easy and most women who leave decisionmaking about their labor choices until they're actually in the midst of labor don't make the decisions they originally expressed or wished they had because they're exhausted, in pain, in an emotional low (the "I don't think I can do this" stage of labor) and feel pressured by hospital staff standing around. 

So if you want to be epidural-free, make sure you're really hard and certain about that before you get to the hospital so you can remind yourself of that decision in those low and hard moments. If you truly want to be epidural-free but go in wishy-washy and "Well maaaaaaybe I will if it gets that bad.." then you'll almost guaranteed get one because labor does get that bad and, as above, you'll be making that vital decision in the midst of that state. 

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Try natural but don't feel like a failure if you need something for pain.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cemcnair
by Courtney on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM
I've done I both ways. I'd have 100 more natural births than even one more with an epidural. I had an awful reaction to it (most people do not, just explaining why I will never have one again).
You need to do whatever you need to do. You are not a failure if you get an epi, you are not too weak to deliver naturally.
Just remember (if you can remember anything at that point in labor) once you feel like you can't possibly take it anymore, you are almost to the end. Hold on for another hour then see how you feel. Do not scream and cry, try to remember that moaning or "labor singing" is much more effective at helping your body. Loose lips, loose cervix.
Either way, do what is best for you!
wonderstruck11
by Allons-y on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:04 AM
I did it natural with minimum yelling however the woman who gave birth about an hour before me was screaming bloody murder. It terrified me, but I didn't give in.
I am so happy that I did it naturally, because so many other moms told me I couldn't do it and that I would give in. Giving birth is natural, and our body's are built to withstand the pain.
AussieArcana
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 4:37 AM

I think you should give natural your best shot, you are woman and you are strong.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)