Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Moms Young Moms

NEED advice!

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:26 PM
  • 15 Replies

I have a baby boy thats 7 months old. He used to eat well but now when i feed him he moves around too much and makes a mess, and he wont finish his food. He really needs to eat his friuts and veggies but he gets distracted. What should I do? Also he cant stay at one spot for more than 2 minutes cuz he starts getting fussy. i try putting him down in his crib, playpen, jumper, stoller and i give him toys to play i sit either next to him or near him and talk to him but he gets bored to soon. I would like to take him out but the heat is just too much during the day (i live in AZ) how do i keep him occupied til the sun comes down?

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunshine86912
by Dawn on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:13 PM

the attention span sounds about right..just keep changing tasks..read a book..play silly toys..sing silly songs...etc.  as for meal times..I used to give my kids their own spoon to play with while I fed them

gabrielat
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:19 PM

About the eating situation, do you put him in a high chair or just try and sit him on the floor? I used to just have my son sit next to me and he got distracted very very easily and always made a huge mess. Once I got the high chair, he started understanding that when you eat, it's time to sit down. He still throws fits once and a while, but he's at that tantrum throwing age.

And has he started learning how to crawl recently? When my son first learned to crawl, he NEVER wanted to sit down because he just discovered that he can now move around instead of just laying in one spot. Once he started fully crawling, it got easier because he had already mastered it. Once he started learning to walk it was the same way. 

Do you let him watch TV? When I have to get something done, I put him in his pack and play with snacks and something to drink, then turn on cartoons, mostly Dora since he'll stop whatever he's doing to watch that. Don't pick him up immediately when he starts crying. I know it's hard but that'll make him think all he has to do is do one little cry and you'll come and pick him up. My son was that way since my dad, mom and grandma picked him up at every little whine. I told them to only pick him up when he has to be, that way he'll learn that he can't always be held or have people rushing to him, you know? He might be starting to test you as well. My son started testing people at around 6 months, what he could and couldn't get away with, and with who. Just set limits. Ween him off of being picked up, let him realize sometimes he has to entertain himself. And make sure you let him know he has to sit down and eat, and get a high chair. Get those plastic eating bibs. They have a pouch on the bottom for spilled food and they're a lot bigger than cloth bibs. And also easier to wash off. 

I hope this helped. Good luck!:)

Mommy of 2 year old Brooklyn Claire up in heaven, 17 month old Dominic Michael, 15 year old Tabby cat Tiger, 8 month old Rottweiler/Pitbull mix Nala, 2 year old guinea pigs Brownie & Cleopatria. Becoming Vegan. Young mommy. Pro-Choice. Metal head. Rap and Hip-Hop lover. Tattooed. Inspiring hair dresser. Earth is my home, I will keep her clean. Future Army wife. Postpartum depression surviver.

gabrielat
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:20 PM

That's a good idea. I give my son his own fork or spoon sometimes. He loves it. 

Quoting sunshine86912:

the attention span sounds about right..just keep changing tasks..read a book..play silly toys..sing silly songs...etc.  as for meal times..I used to give my kids their own spoon to play with while I fed them

Mommy of 2 year old Brooklyn Claire up in heaven, 17 month old Dominic Michael, 15 year old Tabby cat Tiger, 8 month old Rottweiler/Pitbull mix Nala, 2 year old guinea pigs Brownie & Cleopatria. Becoming Vegan. Young mommy. Pro-Choice. Metal head. Rap and Hip-Hop lover. Tattooed. Inspiring hair dresser. Earth is my home, I will keep her clean. Future Army wife. Postpartum depression surviver.

sunshine86912
by Dawn on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM

haha I just assumed he was in a high chair..so good call LOL

Quoting gabrielat:

About the eating situation, do you put him in a high chair or just try and sit him on the floor? I used to just have my son sit next to me and he got distracted very very easily and always made a huge mess. Once I got the high chair, he started understanding that when you eat, it's time to sit down. He still throws fits once and a while, but he's at that tantrum throwing age.

And has he started learning how to crawl recently? When my son first learned to crawl, he NEVER wanted to sit down because he just discovered that he can now move around instead of just laying in one spot. Once he started fully crawling, it got easier because he had already mastered it. Once he started learning to walk it was the same way. 

Do you let him watch TV? When I have to get something done, I put him in his pack and play with snacks and something to drink, then turn on cartoons, mostly Dora since he'll stop whatever he's doing to watch that. Don't pick him up immediately when he starts crying. I know it's hard but that'll make him think all he has to do is do one little cry and you'll come and pick him up. My son was that way since my dad, mom and grandma picked him up at every little whine. I told them to only pick him up when he has to be, that way he'll learn that he can't always be held or have people rushing to him, you know? He might be starting to test you as well. My son started testing people at around 6 months, what he could and couldn't get away with, and with who. Just set limits. Ween him off of being picked up, let him realize sometimes he has to entertain himself. And make sure you let him know he has to sit down and eat, and get a high chair. Get those plastic eating bibs. They have a pouch on the bottom for spilled food and they're a lot bigger than cloth bibs. And also easier to wash off. 

Ithxayana3
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:43 PM

i feed him either in his carseat or stroller, i dont have a high chair

Quoting gabrielat:

Ithxayana3
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Quoting Ithxayana3:

i feed him either in his carseat or stroller, i dont have a high chair . and he does watch some cartoons but only for a little while, he gets bored pretty quick.. and he is trying to crawl but what he does is turn on his tummy.. even when im changing his diaper he turns on his tummy and wants to stay that way.. i have a hard time keeping him on his back.. he also wants to be sitting up if not on his tummy

Quoting gabrielat:

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Honestly NO he doesn't NEED fruits and veggies. Food before ONE is just for fun. His diet should be 85% or more breastmilk or formula. If you're giving jarred foods they are low in calorie, low in nutrients, and mostly water. You can off soft cooked veggies, meats, and soft fruits in chunks or sticks and let him self feed.

He's a baby he's supposed to have a short attention span.

Quoting Ithxayana3:

I have a baby boy thats 7 months old. He used to eat well but now when i feed him he moves around too much and makes a mess, and he wont finish his food. He really needs to eat his friuts and veggies but he gets distracted. What should I do? Also he cant stay at one spot for more than 2 minutes cuz he starts getting fussy. i try putting him down in his crib, playpen, jumper, stoller and i give him toys to play i sit either next to him or near him and talk to him but he gets bored to soon. I would like to take him out but the heat is just too much during the day (i live in AZ) how do i keep him occupied til the sun comes down?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
victoriangavin
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM

At that age when ds started doing that I made sure to keep the yogurt melt things and puffs on hand.  I would put some on his tray and he would work on his pincer grasp (which he nailed in a week!) while he would stay concentrated on food long enough for me to get him to eat all his other food

Ithxayana3
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:44 PM

i thought he did need his fruits and veggies, the nuitritionist at the wic office and the ladies that work there tell me that he should be eating more solids and drinking less milk

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Honestly NO he doesn't NEED fruits and veggies. Food before ONE is just for fun. His diet should be 85% or more breastmilk or formula. If you're giving jarred foods they are low in calorie, low in nutrients, and mostly water. You can off soft cooked veggies, meats, and soft fruits in chunks or sticks and let him self feed.

He's a baby he's supposed to have a short attention span.

Quoting Ithxayana3:

Ithxayana3
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM

im sorry what does ds stand for? new to cafe mom so i dont know all the abbreviations.. lol

Quoting victoriangavin:

At that age when ds started doing that I made sure to keep the yogurt melt things and puffs on hand.  I would put some on his tray and he would work on his pincer grasp (which he nailed in a week!) while he would stay concentrated on food long enough for me to get him to eat all his other food

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)