Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

big dogs and newborns

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:33 AM
  • 10 Replies
I have a medium to large sized husky who is great with my 2 year old nephew, but licks his face a lot.
I just brought my newborn home from the hospital and want to know if anyone has any tips on training him to stay away from baby. I don't want to punish him because then hell see the baby as a threat and get defensive.

Thanks mamas!
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunshine86912
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM

hmm..I always just told my dog NO sternly, like anything else I didnt want him near...but he didnt have much interest in my baby lol

Benswifey10710
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I'd introduce him so he knows what it is. Make sure you give him lots of attention. :)
sunshine86912
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM

anyone else?

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:15 PM
My dog is awesome with my baby.
That being said huskys can be completely different depending on how close genetically they are to their wild self. DF and I really want a husky but will not get one until DS is older for that reason. With newborns they should be fine. Keep the dog leashed when they first meet to be safe maybe. I would be more worried about an older baby who may steal food from the dog bowl or pick up toys and run. Huskys are awesome dogs but their instincts can over take them. I love them :3
SindieNunez
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Just always let him know it's a baby when ever he sees or gets near thre crib etc. Let him smell your baby even if its from the butt lol he might even come in handy when it time to change diapers. My dog did that lol. Don't stress to much about it you husky will adapt.
sunshine86912
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM

our dog (i was told this was AWFUL this wayyyy later by someone who was a dog owner..) I used to put MY hands in his food and water bowl..and pull on his tail while he was eating or sleeping..poke him in the ears..I did everything to him that a young child would do to him..to break him of retaliation.  The last thing I wanted was him snapping at a baby, because I had a 13 month old and a newborn, we had gotten the dog before I got pregnant though...so she was more like 5 months then or so..(my kids are 5 and 6 years old now LOL so my memory math is not always the best).  Some lady way after that when we were looking to adopt her dog freaked out on me because she was very adamant upon children NOT being anywhere close to the food bowl, because she didnt want hands in the food..because would people want someone's hands in their food?  ..well no..but he is a dog..not a person..and the dog had a time out spot..etc..she was a little more than I could take.  we didnt get her dog..but I did break mine that way..and he knew to just get up and move if he didnt want to be climbed up.  He was the best kid dog.

Quoting Retrokitty:

That being said huskys can be completely different depending on how close genetically they are to their wild self. DF and I really want a husky but will not get one until DS is older for that reason. With newborns they should be fine. Keep the dog leashed when they first meet to be safe maybe. I would be more worried about an older baby who may steal food from the dog bowl or pick up toys and run. Huskys are awesome dogs but their instincts can over take them. I love them :3

Dg08171995
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Teach him sit and stay really well. But u do need to let the dog meat the baby so be can see its not a big toy but a living thing.
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Oh I remembered a trick for huskies.you don't put their bowl down you hold it while they eat. Then they can't become protective over their food because its yours. You can also hold the food in your hand to get the same effect.

Quoting sunshine86912:

our dog (i was told this was AWFUL this wayyyy later by someone who was a dog owner..) I used to put MY hands in his food and water bowl..and pull on his tail while he was eating or sleeping..poke him in the ears..I did everything to him that a young child would do to him..to break him of retaliation.  The last thing I wanted was him snapping at a baby, because I had a 13 month old and a newborn, we had gotten the dog before I got pregnant though...so she was more like 5 months then or so..(my kids are 5 and 6 years old now LOL so my memory math is not always the best).  Some lady way after that when we were looking to adopt her dog freaked out on me because she was very adamant upon children NOT being anywhere close to the food bowl, because she didnt want hands in the food..because would people want someone's hands in their food?  ..well no..but he is a dog..not a person..and the dog had a time out spot..etc..she was a little more than I could take.  we didnt get her dog..but I did break mine that way..and he knew to just get up and move if he didnt want to be climbed up.  He was the best kid dog.

Quoting Retrokitty:

sunshine86912
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:18 PM

atleast with kids at some point the bowls have to go up because THEY start trying to eat it LOL.  I didnt know that bit that you said, interesting point...that I wouldnt have thought of!

Quoting Retrokitty:

Oh I remembered a trick for huskies.you don't put their bowl down you hold it while they eat. Then they can't become protective over their food because its yours. You can also hold the food in your hand to get the same effect.

Quoting sunshine86912:

Quoting Retrokitty:

SabrinaLC
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Introduce them to each other.

Still give your dog lots of love to avoid jealousy?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)